Author Topic: DOoska jig  (Read 5037 times)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
DOoska jig
« on: 01/14/21 17:05 UTC »
Although one of my projects from last year was to modify the Do-it Darter head mold and make a pseudo mooska jig for ice fishing, I didn't finally get to it until today.  The mod was quite simple, just dremel out a few spots for a hook facing the opposite direction... the red hooks are #12s in 1/64oz, and the gold hooks are #10s in 1/32oz... now I gotta charge the camera battery and head to the backwaters for a test drive.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: DOoska jig
« Reply #1 on: 01/14/21 21:57 UTC »
That's a nifty flip-flop.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/21 09:41 UTC »
Definitely want to hear the results of that test run Efishnc. Nice work man!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/15/21 12:47 UTC »
Thanks fellas-

If all goes well, I think I will be with a buddy on the ice tomorrow... I'll keep you posted as to how these perform.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/15/21 14:38 UTC »
👍

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/21 11:35 UTC »
So E, have you fished this jig yet? How did it do?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/21 12:05 UTC »
Generally speaking, I consider fishing to be a camaraderie sport and I'm really not one to fish by myself (other than fly fishing smallmouth).  My buddy had something come up last weekend, so I did not make it out, but we are planning on a new date this coming week.

Truth be told, I think this design will be better in the open water because having the head angle down will likely give this a little wobble on the retrieve, something like the old grave digger jig... I'm probably more excited to try this in open water now since I have thought about it a little.

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #7 on: 01/27/21 13:00 UTC »
Let us know how you do.  Looks cool
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/27/21 14:00 UTC »
Thanks Skimpy... I'm expecting good things with this modified design and I'll definitely update the forum on what I find while experimenting with it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/27/21 14:34 UTC »
I thought maybe on a freefall it would glide down in a circular fashion. Was curious is all. I might do the mod on a couple cavities in 1/32 and jig it a go thru the ice here in the next couple days. Carole will be at the daughters for four or five days so I'll have free range to fish a little. I've been using Clam's "Frost" line thru the ice and its about as thin as a blonde hair. There's zero resistance with the line and that jig I think should sail with the head angle reversed like that.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/28/21 17:01 UTC »
The most notable change over the original design is the jig balance, and this one has a neutral position that is dead level... certainly the angle of presentation can be changed on any jig by positioning a tight knot at different locations on the eye, but those I made hang perfectly horizontal when a line is run straight through (without tying), whereas an actual mooska hangs with a little bit of an angle.  All in all, it should be a good little jig for the pannies, hard water or soft.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 01/30/21 11:37 UTC »
Although one of my projects from last year was to modify the Do-it Darter head mold and make a pseudo mooska jig for ice fishing, I didn't finally get to it until today.  The mod was quite simple, just dremel out a few spots for a hook facing the opposite direction... the red hooks are #12s in 1/64oz, and the gold hooks are #10s in 1/32oz... now I gotta charge the camera battery and head to the backwaters for a test drive.

So what did you do exactly to the darter jig?

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/30/21 19:41 UTC »
So what did you do exactly to the darter jig?

This is what it looks like with no modification.

I made it so the majority of the weight is on the bottom (similar to the mooska) rather than the top.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/06/21 16:05 UTC »
Nice Mod!!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/06/21 16:36 UTC »
Thanks brother!