Author Topic: Herring head mod  (Read 3399 times)

Offline jkwildhunting

• Kicker
Herring head mod
« on: 01/11/17 21:11 UTC »
Since the Herring head hit the stores It was most definitely a mold I wanted.  I have done well on jigs with a small blade tipped with a minnow or leech for walleye.

Unfortunately I felt with the barb collar and lead barb that it was taking up to much  hook space. I would also prefer to use the sickle or eagle claw hooks.

This is where I would like to thank Tom on answering my questions on how to modify a mold.

Grabbed some jb high heat weld and went to work!  The end product came out like I wanted it to but is still  "sloppy" so going to attempt to chip away the putty and Start over.  For the guys who modify molds to me you guys have a special talent as I feel like i am HORRIBLE at this.

Here what the end product should look like.  I used the large wire keeper was able to "use" lead barb spot for the keeper.  Unfortunately the hooks are not lined up well in the 3 sizes I tried so that is a other reason I will attempt to start over. I tried a different "method" vs getting the dremel tool out.  I think that is why I had such a sloppy poured jig.

Maybe in the end modifying a round head jig to accept a barrel swivel would be easier but have zero faith I can get that to work either.  :(  LOL

« Last Edit: 01/11/17 21:16 UTC by jkwildhunting »
Joe
Fish On

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
Re: Herring head mod
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/17 06:06 UTC »
Nice! I was really wanting to do this to my mold but haven't.  Use a rotory tool to sand the jb weld maybe instead of chipping??

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/17 09:44 UTC »
Doesn't look like it turned out to bad to me. Good looking bait. I'm still wanting to do this to mine too.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/17 11:21 UTC »
Nice modification
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/17 15:21 UTC »
That mod is fine. I'd leave it as is and go forward with some paint so we can get a glimpse of the finished walleye yanker. lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/17 14:19 UTC »
When I'm working on cutting or expanding straight lines for hooks and wires, I either use jeweler's files or hacksaw blades.  These might be a little more tedious, but there are no episodes of cussing from a dremel slipping. 

On the flipside,  there are occasions where I over-cut with the dremel on purpose so I can fill it in with putty and "lock" a hook into place... I typically do this when I want a smaller hook (such as for panfish) in a given head... this makes a very tight mold without even the slightest movement.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/13/17 15:47 UTC »
A set of jeweler's files in priceless. When things need tweaking the little files are absolute life-savers. I've had a set of them for 45 years.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline jkwildhunting

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 01/13/17 19:38 UTC »
Thanks for tips about files! 

Fun building "custom" stuff plus having a new rcbs pot makes pouring a fun hobby again not cussing the Lee pot out.
Joe
Fish On