Author Topic: wind much?  (Read 863 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
wind much?
« on: 10/12/20 09:45 UTC »
On Saturday all the trees in the yard and around the neighborhood that beautiful leaf colors. Sunday was ushered in with a NE wind and man was it howling. Our old oak still has its dull brown leaves but the birch got stripped and it was a beauty this fall. Lots of trees in the neighborhood now have no or very few leaves. I'm sure glad I passed on fishing yesterday. This morning beginning at about 1am we had thunderstorms that were off and on until around 5 am, hence yesterdays nice blow.

Anyone else have the big winds? Andrew? Walleye?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: wind much?
« Reply #1 on: 10/13/20 00:37 UTC »
We had thunder and lightning and wind but not to the extent that you had.
We had one time in the 90’s in the summer I was out on the lake and I seen a storm coming and had started to work my way back to the ramp area and the wind picked up and the lake went from calm to 2.5’ to 3.5’ waves and the green trees got shredded it wasn’t whole leafs It was like they were put throw a paper shredder sure was glad to get off the water safe and sound but soaked like a drowned rat and after that there is a storm suit in the boat at all times.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/13/20 06:56 UTC »
Hard to believe its already fall.   Here in Ohio we still have a lot of green but a lot is turning orange and my tree in my yard is pretty much bare but its definitely getting to be that time of the year.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/13/20 08:42 UTC »
As usual, it missed us. It's amazing how many times I see Rochester getting hit and they are heading straight for us only to spit and head north or south. I wonder if Lake Pepin influences them or the big bluffs there?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/13/20 13:19 UTC »
It was plenty windy when we got to the water this morning and the speed went uphill as we fished. I finally put a 3/32 head cast on a #6 hook on the line, hung a paddletail and cast into the wind and had some success. Northerns moved into the area where I was casting and spoiled things so after 5 bite-offs I quit. I think it was a sustained wind speed somewhere between 25 and 30 mph. I was rigged on a rod spooled with #4 Frost braid which is thinner than a hair and the wind still carried the line so bad the 3/32 head/plastic would skip across the water!

"I wonder if Lake Pepin influences them or the big bluffs there?"....Andrew  I think it could be a combination of both big guy, but then the whole Mississippi valley around these parts is bluff country. I think some wild thermals can develop around the bluffs and much of that activity goes pretty much up. The river is still warmer than usual for right now too and how that can affect a storm's track can be pretty interesting in its own right..

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast