Author Topic: Swimbait jig head w/ pearl powder  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
Swimbait jig head w/ pearl powder
« on: 01/13/18 22:32 UTC »
I promised paneltrucklures I’d post some of my recent creations using automotive paint pearl powder. Still haven’t got the hang of using it in plastic but lead painting has been fun.

I’ve had the best luck using black powder paint as a base with most of the pearls. With the paint tacky I would tap on some pearl powder then dip in clear powder paint. Then back over the heat gun to get everything to flow out and bond. Next, I began experimenting with Hard As Nails fingernail polish. Never tried this before but I believe it has its place on the bench. Results were ok but could be better.

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Re: Swimbait jig head w/ pearl powder
« Reply #1 on: 01/14/18 03:28 UTC »
Great looking.
Gave me some ideas there...
Is the black base gloss?
Magne

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/14/18 05:11 UTC »
Those automotive pearls are stud. Nice stuff you show there.

You can add these pearls to clear powder paint for some super nice finishes too....heat jig and dip in black then right into the clear with your choice of pearl.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/14/18 06:26 UTC »
Great looking.
Gave me some ideas there...
Is the black base gloss?
Magne
I guess so. Just the standard pro tec black.

Ctom is right about adding it to clear powder paint and then applying by dipping. In the upper left corner in the picture is one with chartreuse powder paint on upper half and automotive red/green/brown shifting pearl powder mixed with clear powder paint on lower half. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/14/18 06:43 UTC »
MADA....

Try this link to check out some color shifting pearls.....http://www.didspade.com/fine-particle/ There are other pearl products available at this site that are less fine than what is shown here but its been my experience with the pearls of this nature to buy fine particle powders. They are much, much easier to work with and the very fine particles stay suspended in your choice of paints much longer.

Everything on this page can be gotten in sample packages for around 5 or 6 bucks and a sample pack goes quite a long way. Just about every color works best over black too. They can be used over other colors and white but you won't get the wild shift in color as you will with a black base. The standard black Pro Tec powder paints Fisherman alludes to is a great base color. Do a bing or google search by typing in Rosie's 200% clear in the search window. Rosies clear is a bargain by the pound and you can mix for months with a pound. The Rosies clear also makes regular pro tec colors flow very easily when mixed about 20% rosies/80% protec. Straight clear with these pearls will let you finish baits that will twist the minds of your buddies.

AND....if you are into air brushing you can mix these pearls right into a clear top coat airbrush paint and spray a couple, three light coats over black to dizzy people too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 01/14/18 11:15 UTC »
That 200% gloss clear is no longer available.  Thankfully I've got 5 lbs of it.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/14/18 11:46 UTC »
Well ain't that the pits.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/16/18 09:01 UTC »
Some how I have missed this post  until I got your PM and secrched for it. Any how those look great. I see a lot of things I like especially the brown and green so how I think I’m now far from pouring jig heads which is something I swore I’d never do. Thanks guy!
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures