Author Topic: Bladebait painting question  (Read 2013 times)

Offline trappertn

• Minnow
Bladebait painting question
« on: 12/10/19 23:54 UTC »
Hey all,been researching here for a couple years now and finally decided to join.seems like a awesome place.ive finally bit the bullet and been playing with making and painting my own lures and got me some of he blade bait molds. And I know paint doesn't like to stick to shinny metal but am wanting the keep the nickel and put a little chartreuse along the top of the back ,would o be able to just clear coat over it or would I be better off getting the brass inserts and paint with primer and paint silver with the charteuse or whatever accent color .thank you in advance .I can't wait to hear all your wisdom and learn alot thanks again !!

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
Re: Bladebait painting question
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/19 03:54 UTC »
Paint sticks better to the brass, But you wont get the nickel look with paint on brass. I'd clean the nickel blank and paint the accent color you like. You might try using a stencil and spray bomb can made for metal. Otherwise you will need to apply 2-3 coats of KBS to keep the paint on.... The down side of that is the lure will loose some action. The added thickness robs vibration.

Welcome...

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/11/19 07:15 UTC »
 I bought a powder paint sprayer from TJ's. I heat the blade up and spray it on, then bake it. The candy colors work best for me. I know a little more than you were thinking but really does a nice job and sticks well. Plus the candy colors will keep that flash that you're looking for.

And welcome ....

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/19 07:30 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums trapper.

Both the nickel and brass inserts have their place with blades when it comes to painting. I think the most realistic baits come with the nickel while those bright fluorescent paints do great on the brass but there's no set rule saying you can't use the fluorescent colors on nickel. I cast my nickel blades, then just before I am going to paint them I give them a good soak, maybe a half hour, in pure denatured alcohol, then laid on some paper toweling until the alcohol has evaporated.

I air brush most everything now, including blade baits, but have used the canned bombs and powder paint in the past and they all will give you a great finish. The airbrushed baits though do need to be sealed with a seal coat and for that I prefer the Seal Coat product sold here at Do-It. Its easy to work with and is as durable as other similar product any when dried and allowed to cure for a few days in a warm room.

In my opinion, the blade baits are perhaps the most flexible baits to make simply because when a finish wears out it can be removed and re-coated in a blink. The nickel blades will still have their glitz and shine and those brass blades cab be re-polished with a Dremel and the cloth buffing wheel with a little brass polish on it.....then you're good to go all over again.

The blades are fun to finish but even better than that, they're a super good bait and there's nothing better on this planet than catching fish on something you made. Again, welcome aboard!

Offline trappertn

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/19 14:57 UTC »
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advise. I can’t wait to get the molds here and get to playing with things seei by what I can come up with

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 12/11/19 16:13 UTC »
Welcome trappertn when you catch a fish on something you made you’ll hooked.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline trappertn

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 12/11/19 17:06 UTC »
Thank you Oh I am for sure . I’ve been making Jigheads and jigs for years just simple things and carved out a topwater popper this past summer and it’s been doin great I’m just starting to branch out more and more lol I love bladebaits but man are they getting expensive and I love making fishing things and tinkering with them. I’m really excited to play with some molds and maybe later on but one of the blanks to play with  ;D

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/11/19 18:36 UTC »
Video from one of our own...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5g2TPfBj2A

Offline trappertn

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 12/12/19 00:30 UTC »
Thank you for the video he does awesome I found another one of his on it as well very good thank you