Author Topic: Release Weights  (Read 1880 times)

Offline David_C

• Minnow
Release Weights
« on: 02/29/20 03:50 UTC »
Hi guys
Something that is catching on in Australia is the use of release weights.
These weights are used to release fish that are caught from deep water to reduce the risk of barotrauma on fish.
Here in South Australia, they have just made them mandatory for people fishing for snapper, so as part of this, I've developed a 24oz, 32oz and 48oz models.
Do other countries have something similar they use?
David

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Release Weights
« Reply #1 on: 02/29/20 06:53 UTC »
I've read quite a bit about the use of these weights for reducing the barotrauma and some people here have done some tinkering with it during the winter but I haven't heard a lot about results...or at least confirmed results. Personally I see the weights as a better alternative to "fizzing" the fish where the air bladder hanging out of the critter's mouth after coming from real deep water is punctured with a pin or needle to vent the air inside hoping the fish can swallow it back down after a release.

Thanks for posting this as I will do some more searching on this concept. Its been a while since I read anything on this and new things come along at a fast pace anymore so I may find I need to catch up.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/29/20 09:03 UTC »
Required in Alaska now.

Offline David_C

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/20 03:28 UTC »
Recfish West (in Western Australia) apparently did some research on it many moons ago but haven't seen anything since.

Some of our charter guys use them but some of them are up to 10 kilos - that is a lot of weight!!! Mine are made for the general market and tackleshops. I'd prefer not to make the smaller versions but some people unfortunately don't care about the fish and will just have it on the boat because they have to - and it will never see the water.

David

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/03/20 07:24 UTC »
Yes they are now required here in Alaska saltwater.
Primarily they are used for Yelloweye and other rockfish.
I've never seen the kind you have there.
In AK we usually use ones that allow you to clip on different size weights such as this Shelton's fish descender.
Some people do use bullet head jigs with the barb removed and the line tied to the curve in the hook.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Offline David_C

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 03/04/20 06:27 UTC »
That is a really interesting design - will have a look into it :)

David