Author Topic: What am I doing wrong  (Read 502 times)

Offline Glennd

• Minnow
What am I doing wrong
« on: 04/04/21 07:07 UTC »
Hi folks I just got some new Midwest Finesse jig molds and tried pouring yesterday but when I would pour a few let cool them take them out the lead would wobble on the hook. Is it my lead or the hooks ? Thanks for any help Glenn

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: What am I doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/21 07:25 UTC »
Welcome aboard Glenn.

And Happy Easter.

You probably are not doing anything wrong.

I'll assume the heads involved are the smaller ones. This is common with pure lead and the smaller sizes. The lead is not hard enough to firmly hold onto the hook.

Run down to the hardware store and buy a small roll of 50/50, unfluxed, solder and snip a few 6" lengths of it to your lead. If you have a smaller lead pot, say 4 pounds, just a couple or three of those lengths will do the trick. If the pot is larger you'll need to add more solder proportionally. Be sure to stir the melted solder in well. Another thing, do not try to lift the castings from the mold by the hooks, use the sprues and tease them loose then lift out.

Offline anyfish

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 04/04/21 13:25 UTC »
Everything Tom posted is great.  I switched over to wheel weights and it has helped.  I really like the mold and will share a few other thoughts that work for me.

Be sure to use the wire keeper as it does help.  I made 12 or so without it and they were much worse.
The heavier weights in the mold are better and move very little.
Be sure to clip the sprue vs bending the jig from side to side.
Finally, it could be just mental for me, but cured powder paint has helped me reduce the movement.

Hope this helps.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/04/21 20:19 UTC »
Be sure to clip the sprue vs bending the jig from side to side.

Another thing, do not try to lift the castings from the mold by the hooks, use the sprues and tease them loose then lift out.

Put all your leverage/ pressure on the sprue (especially if you are using soft lead) and this should all but eliminate the slop you are seeing.