Author Topic: I may have screwed up  (Read 1038 times)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
I may have screwed up
« on: 04/10/21 19:43 UTC »
I painted a half dozen crankbaits today.  One of them was a splatter back wiggle wart that I was very happy with the way it turned out.  I dipped them in seal coat and hung them to dry.  I just checked them and I noticed that the splatters had all ran.  It is actually a pretty neat effect but disconcerting nonetheless.  I am wondering do I need my airbrushed baits to cure for a specific amount of time before dipping?  Maybe I didn't stir it well enough before dipping?  All of the baits were bone dry I am absolutely sure of that.  Let me know if any of you have had any problems with seal coat.  All paints used in these baits were createx..
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: I may have screwed up
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/21 20:05 UTC »
Are you heat setting the paint? As soon as you're done with a color you should use a hair dryer on HIGH heat setting and dry the paint until all glossiness is gone and the paint's a matte [totally flat] finish. Then proceed to the next color. Give a final heat blast before dipping in seal coat. I usually do the final heat set, then let the lure hang a few hours before hitting with the seal coat.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/21 20:40 UTC »
Are you heat setting the paint? As soon as you're done with a color you should use a hair dryer on HIGH heat setting and dry the paint until all glossiness is gone and the paint's a matte [totally flat] finish. Then proceed to the next color. Give a final heat blast before dipping in seal coat. I usually do the final heat set, then let the lure hang a few hours before hitting with the seal coat.

Yes I heat set between each color change (unless I am shooting wet on wet).  In this case the last thing I did was the splatter back.  I did heat set it but the only thing I can think of is that the splatters not being atomized require a longer drying time and perhaps they were not fully cured on the inside.  I will try the same color combo tomorrow and see if it goes better.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/21 22:45 UTC »
Relative humidity can really raise Cain with airbrush acrylics too. I use clear gloss as a top coat and often mix my color shift pigments into the clear to go over black or transparent black laid across the back. These are usually wet coats and I have to heat set them pronto or the black underlayment will slip. If the relative humidity is high I have used the hairdryer on high heat until the paint is matte in appearance only to have it sop up the wet in the air and do fun things. I think you've had some serious moisture of late and if so I think that that is half of your issue Sarge.  I'd give them extra time with the blower, then hang them in a warm, 190 degree, oven for an hour and see if that helps bind your splatter coat better.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/21 23:24 UTC »
Haven’t played much with the airbrush but I thought that Createx water base I wouldn’t think  It would move once heat set. Unless you clear coat with something that reacts to the water base.
One more thing for me set up and play with. Been painting with a spray paint cans that has worked for me but you can’t get the fine detail that you get with the airbrush there are some really talented people with a airbrush that could be of a help than me. I’ve got more than 500 cranks and jerk bait’s and poppers to paint witch is way more I we’ll ever use in my life time but that’s what you end up with minimum order pricing.
« Last Edit: 04/11/21 04:03 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/11/21 16:10 UTC »
Well I just dipped another bait and it did it again.  I think I will move on to KBS.