Author Topic: powder coazting II....beds  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Big Ugly

• Yearling
powder coazting II....beds
« on: 07/06/21 20:12 UTC »
tuank you guys fo0r some exstensive info on the coating flow bed....?... so anyway i got one. so i unpacked ir, hooked up the hose and plugged it in. waSA TRYING TO SEE IF AIR CAME OUT , BUT IF IT DID I DIDNT FEEL IT. I AM SURE IT IS VERY LIGHT.
aLSO, In the package came two round pieces of paper ir maybe filter? but i dont see how they work

please forgive my typing i am half blind and just had my 11th surgery last week so i am seeing even worse, thank you ahead os time
Even when i can't see, I still believe.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
Re: powder coazting II....beds
« Reply #1 on: 07/07/21 03:47 UTC »
This short 2 minute video should help you understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrQzk2B22w

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 07/23/21 16:51 UTC »
21xdc that shows exactly what it takes.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Big Ugly

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 09/10/21 17:32 UTC »
Saw all the utbe videos...a;ot of unanswered questions. Need to tal;k to someone whos done this before.
Ty for all the help

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #4 on: 09/12/21 14:15 UTC »
Big Ugly, you really don't need a lot of air flowing. All that you need from it is to keep the powder fluffed up and fluid. You'll see in video's where folks get a lot of bubbling in their powder and frankly, that's wasted air. You're coating with the powder, not the air.

You should also make sure to keep the powders dry. You can't see it, but fine powders of any type tend to absorb moisture. Moisture in the powder, which can be from humidity in the air, affects the flow and how fluid the powder may be as it causes the particles to stick together. That means more powder than is needed transfers to your heated jig, and a uniform and thin coat will be better than a thicker coat.

Be sure to keep the powders sealed when not using them and I place packs of the silica gel in the containers to absorb moisture. I've learned to tell when a powder isn't as fluffy as it can be, and that's usually a moisture issue if I can't seem to get it to fluff up.

Kept your powder stirred well too. Even though the fluid bed aids in keeping the powder flowing, it may not be perfect, so helps a lot to keep it stirred. I notice that powder packs a bit when I tap the excess off, and there's a difference in the powder when dipping. When it's nice & fluffy, there's almost no resistance, but when it's not, then there's a good bit more resistance and stirring fixes that.

When I dip, I heat jigs to my cure temperature in an oven, then it's straight in & out, no swishing around because the longer in the powder the more powder on the jig, and again, as long as you get a thin & uniform coating, that's all you need.

Offline Big Ugly

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 11/13/21 14:31 UTC »
I have had no luck with the powder coating machine/bed i bought. Tried it multiple times with no luck. I keep the siliocone packets in all my paint. It must be me. Than k you so much for all the help and info and maybe i will get it somehow.

I just came back from some rough times with my eyes. I want to thank all of you who have kept me in your pairs.It lookls like My left eye is doing much better. Thank God, and praise him. But, it seems as though my right eye is doing bad and i may lose 90% of my sight in that eye.  But thank the Lord I can see out of my left eye to be able to enjoy this fime thing I have gotten involved with...soft plastics ect. Thanks again

Bigger an d Uglier...LOL

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/21 17:19 UTC »
Sorry to hear about the right eye Big guy. Prayers will continue for that. Keep pluggin' away at the plastics and tackle crafting, it's very therapuetic.