Author Topic: local sweetcorn  (Read 275 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
local sweetcorn
« on: 08/05/21 18:28 UTC »
....came ready so I went picking this morning. Got 4 dozen and put up 7 quarts in the freezer, plus 5 ears each for the next two dinners and a half dozen for the son and his wife. Man, what a difference in flavor and freshness from the corn stands and grocery store stuff. Now I know why pigs gain so much weight when they're on a corn diet.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: local sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: 08/06/21 06:26 UTC »
  We don't have a garden but we buy into a CSA every year and I love this time a year when everything is fresh.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/06/21 07:32 UTC »
Corn is the one thing I do not plant. We know of a farm that has self-pick corn and is where I get ours. Its about a 40 mile round trip but the corn is fresh and no sprays of any type are applied to the fields. Staggered planting means about 6 weeks of fresh, very sweet, corn. With the dry this season I'm thinking we'll see maybe 4 weeks, maybe even less. I'll do two more pickings where we eat a bunch and freeze a bunch so I can go into winter with about 20 quarts of frozen corn.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/06/21 11:37 UTC »
I can't grow corn, living on a lake the raccoons clean it up fast! Buy mine from a stand. Going to have to look for a U-pick farm..

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/09/21 06:54 UTC »
I deal with a lot of farmers in my business. I get some fresh Silver King every year and it is good. This was I don't have to plant it. ;)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 08/30/21 12:27 UTC »
There is a farmer that has a stand that I goet the bi color corn that’s just out of this world.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN