Author Topic: Check and re-check....  (Read 2732 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Check and re-check....
« on: 08/25/21 13:30 UTC »
I was in the shop this morning to do some injecting but smelled something really warm. Not hot like in burning but just really warm smelling. I check everything and found zip then noticed the display light on the microwave wasn't on, so I went and checked the breakers. Nope, nothing tripped so I went back to check the microwave and sure as heck it was super warm to the touch. The plug was cool but the microwave cabinet was plenty warm to touch....almost to the point of being hot to touch. I tries a drill in both plugs of the outlet and things worked fine so I figured that 5 years of cooking plastic was a pretty good run for a $75.00 microwave and a trip to Best Buy got me a new one.

The only things I leave plugged in in the work shop is the microwave and my cd player/radio. Finding this microwave so warm got me to thinking that maybe I should just unplug it between uses. The radio is all digital now so it doesn't hardly have a draw but I'll be giving it a touch/feel occasionally now just to be safe. Best Buy had a nice table top CD player/radio on sale while we were snooping microwaves and one with blue tooth everything came home for the shop today too. The current player's cd function is messed up and with all the cds I have that hasn't sat well with me. So that problem solved too.

Anyway, just making the suggestion that maybe giving some of your electrical appliances a feel every now and again to be sure they aren't overheating unknown to you.  This has never happened to me before and it has made me a bit paranoid now.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
Re: Check and re-check....
« Reply #1 on: 08/25/21 15:38 UTC »
Glad you caught it before it was a bigger problem.  Thanks for the heads up to keep us all safe. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/25/21 15:52 UTC »
I always leave mine unplug. In fact this year I've been doing all my injecting outside. I'm getting a cart to put everything on (plastic, colors, glitter, etc) so I can just wheel it outside my walk out basement door and have it all ready for injecting.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/25/21 17:10 UTC »
Good on you for being alert. I have a short run in my garage that are gfi sockets and tied into a light switch that allows me to kill the power to them when not in use. Maybe not code standard, maybe just false hope but I like to think it might save me from trouble.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/25/21 18:29 UTC »
I always leave mine unplug. In fact this year I've been doing all my injecting outside. I'm getting a cart to put everything on (plastic, colors, glitter, etc) so I can just wheel it outside my walk out basement door and have it all ready for injecting.

It will be really nice for you to have everything moderately warm and at the ready (especially in the winter) to pop out for some crafting, and pop back in when done... I kinda wish I had that set up for my crafting convenience, but I don't have a walk out basement (so pole shed it is).

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/26/21 06:48 UTC »
I have never umplugged mine BUT I will start.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/26/21 19:05 UTC »
Thanks for the heads up Tom, i think i'll start unplugging mine when i'm not using it.
« Last Edit: 08/27/21 09:43 UTC by Les Young »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/26/21 21:21 UTC »
Its probably just my old oven. Its seen far more serious use than the over-stove unit in the kitchen. Just finding it so hot after not being used just sort of un-nerved me.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 08/27/21 18:23 UTC »
Tom in my shop anything that’s electric always get unplugged before I leave my room . I not a coffee drinker but there are a lot of people have there’s plugged in all even after they have know to over heat and start fires.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #9 on: 12/16/21 19:04 UTC »
The ONLY things We The People need to leave plugged in are Bunn coffee makers, alarm clocks, and maybe the phone so it/they are charged.

Other that that, unplug everything.  Good lookin' out!
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸