Author Topic: How many us glow and what color works the best for you  (Read 120 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
I use fluorescent green chartreuse is the only color I have used so far and the fish seem to bite it the best when It’s just about half power. Haven’t had that many bite at full strength.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline anyfish

• Keeper
I haven't ever used any for plastics.   I do use the glow powder paint on occasion.  I honestly don't know if it makes a difference but it looks cool, so why not. It is closer to the natural glow, but I don't know if that is what it is called for the powder paint.  I like the looks of the blue for plastics,  just haven't ever purchased any.  I do however use the UV powder a lot and really like it.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Hi anyfish a little UV POWDER Goes a long way as will the pearl powders. For the most part the bait’s I make are semitransparent. The water I fish is Stained and glow is used from dusk threw dawn. Or when fishing very deep water at any time of day. UV looks like Florescent colorant show the same on bait’s if you put a bait under uv/black light.
I have 1 Bait that I make is called midnight blue’s  1 cup of plastisol of choose
5 drops of black Colorant Needles head with UV powder and if you see a ting of blue when its heated to temp you put to much UV powder in

1 Needles head or so of blue pearl doesn’t Over take the black                 
 As far as flake it’s ocean blue Flake size depends on the the size of the bait
 Lime green
 Ocean blue
I use .015 and .040

« Last Edit: 09/14/21 23:47 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Looking good Walleye Wacker!

Offline anyfish

• Keeper
I like the baits Walleye Wacker.   I'll have to experiment with the color.  Thanks for the ideas.

Offline TomBoy Baits

• Minnow
    • TomBoy Baits
I use fluorescent green chartreuse is the only color I have used so far and the fish seem to bite it the best when It’s just about half power. Haven’t had that many bite at full strength.

I’m making mostly glow in the dark baits lol I have only used Barlow’s glow powder… the fish where I live LOVE the pink and the green… I am new to making baits and I’m getting better at it and soon will be selling what I’m making… I’m making baits unique baits that are not the traditional colors lol I like to be different… I looked for unique baits for years and could never find what I wanted so I just decided to start making them myself lol I’d like to use techno glow brand but it’s costly lol so I may just stay with Barlow’s…
Just a plain jane country girl that's in love with BASS fishing and BAIT making! TomBoy Baits is my brand! I make UNIQUE baits that are not your grandfather's type of baits! Remember TomBoy Baits.. Because there's nothing wrong with being DIFFERENT!

Offline TomBoy Baits

• Minnow
    • TomBoy Baits

Here are some more of my glow work lol
Just a plain jane country girl that's in love with BASS fishing and BAIT making! TomBoy Baits is my brand! I make UNIQUE baits that are not your grandfather's type of baits! Remember TomBoy Baits.. Because there's nothing wrong with being DIFFERENT!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
I assume you are referring to soft plastics Mike?

For me a lot depends on fish specie and time of year [water temp]. I use zero glow plastic during the summer. late spring or early fall. When the water temps are below about 45 degrees I'll start using some plastics with limited amount of glow exposure. Sunfish will peck at any color of glow while red is a good crappie trigger color. When I get serious about the dock fishing in the late fall with water temps dangling around the 43 degree mark I use purple glow almost exclusively, but its a tough glow color to work with as it is hard to charge if the plastic is cold and once charged its duration is fairly short....maybe four to five minutes before needing a touch up.

Everyone and their brothers uses the eerie green glow with red glow right on green's heels so its possible that those two glows can be "over-worked". Glow purple is at a totally different part of the spectrum and is about as close to any visible uv as one will ever get and that's likely the reason its such a great color of glow for me, while the masses either are unaware that its available or they have a tough time using baits containing the pigment. I keep all of my glow plastics in an inside pocket to keep them warm which helps getting the initial charge into them. Once glow products get cold they become increasingly difficult to charge and they hold the charge for way less time.

Also, I do not make full baits with glow plastic, maybe just a tail or a portion of a tail. Even in very clear water with little to reflect the glow glow products will cast an aura around the glowing portion of the bait and can make a bait appear way larger than it actually is and move fish away from the lure. Same with large jig heads and glow, Same with uv glow enhancers. The latter I usually tape off all but a small area if I am using a product like the spray Blast.

Glow products work great and have saved many a day for people but I think that glow products also get "over-used" in most instances. A little glow goes a super long way.