Author Topic: Sprue Cutters Video  (Read 219 times)

Offline JayWirth

• Minnow
Sprue Cutters Video
« on: 11/19/21 20:16 UTC »
A short video discussion on sprue cutters used for casting Jigs.
https://youtu.be/NQRK5_WMb94
"Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people."  Arlo Guthrie

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Sprue Cutters Video
« Reply #1 on: 11/19/21 20:26 UTC »
Nice vid. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question: Do you ever "finish" the cut portion on the head with a fine file? When I cut my sprues I get a sharp edge on the head and it doesn't seem to matter from which side of the cutter I use. On my cut heads I always touch them up with a very fine file to get rid of that sharp ridge.

Offline JayWirth

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 11/20/21 08:43 UTC »
I do mention this briefly in the video and file the mold line including the sprue point on every head before painting.  Tiny heads I might also use a pocket knife and scrape the mold line instead of a file.

Nice vid. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question: Do you ever "finish" the cut portion on the head with a fine file? When I cut my sprues I get a sharp edge on the head and it doesn't seem to matter from which side of the cutter I use. On my cut heads I always touch them up with a very fine file to get rid of that sharp ridge.
"Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also to accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people."  Arlo Guthrie

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/20/21 09:14 UTC »
Doesn't seem like Tom watched the video.... You explained everything very well, Maybe more than once LOL...

I pour a lot... These have been my favorites so far...https://www.ebay.com/itm/153857522275?hash=item23d29f7a63:g:JIYAAOSwooFd1eRZ

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/20/21 11:02 UTC »
I had to step away from the computer for a minute and maybe missed it.

Online Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/21/21 22:28 UTC »
Great video.   I  have been making a lot of the minnow head jigs mostly 1/32 oz and 1 /16 stuff and keep messing up the heads when removing the sprue.  I got looking around and found some pliers like wire cutters I had and clipped off the sprue as close to the head as possible and then used a small knife to clean everything up. It is definitely time consuming doing  a lot  tho but atleast it's done right now and they look much better now but I'm going to definitely pick up some good ones.  I see on a couple of my molds to use the gate cutter but do it currently doesn't have available.