Author Topic: DOoska jig  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Re: DOoska jig
« Reply #15 on: 07/27/21 21:23 UTC »
Very nice mod....looks like it make a great Ice jig.....how was the action?
« Last Edit: 08/15/21 22:20 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 07/28/21 06:48 UTC »
Very nice mod....looks like it make a great I've jig.....how was the action?

To be honest, I think my plastic (even though small) had too much resistance to make the head wobble side to side as I hoped for (or suspected it could/should)... maybe this might be more of a possibility with a tied (kip tail) jig and/or if it was retrieved through the water, but it is not evident when lightly jigged for ice fishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 08/15/21 22:22 UTC »
To be honest, I think my plastic (even though small) had too much resistance to make the head wobble side to side as I hoped for (or suspected it could/should)... maybe this might be more of a possibility with a tied (kip tail) jig and/or if it was retrieved through the water, but it is not evident when lightly jigged for ice fishing.

Did you try just tipping it with 2-3 spikes? Typically when using a jig like the mooska or like you made I just usually do spikes or a wax worm. If I do put a plastic tail on it, I usually just pull the tail section off and thread it or use the tiny ice tickler one.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 08/16/21 06:15 UTC »
I can't say much about spikes/waxies because just don't use them... (I can't remember the last time I bought waxies other than it's been a couple of decades). Before I started injecting my own ice plastics, I was using Berkeley power wigglers (which stemmed from my early success using power worms for bass); the action, longevity, price point, etc. of using plastics simply outweighs the benefits of live bait with me.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 08/16/21 06:35 UTC »
My fishing pal did the flip-flop with the hooks in this darter mold and does very well in open water with the 1/16 ones tipped with a 1.5" Thump-It, under a slip float.

I'm in efishnc's camp on the baits for smaller ice type jigs except I lean towards the Gulp products. It's been almost 30 years since I bought waxies or spikes, longer for minnows. As I have mentioned in previous posts I save the jars and juice from Gulp baits and add my plastics to the jars/juice. I carry a Gulp bottle of the longer Wax Wigglers in assorted colors as well as another couple full of 1.5" Thump-Its in a half-dozen colors. In their own right the two baits are dynamite for panfish and crappies but soaked in the Gulp juice seems to energize them even more. I know there are arguments that plastics don't absorb scents that are other than oil based, but I'll argue for a long time that the soaked baits I use do in fact take on the scent after being continually immersed in the juice for two years or more. I like the Kietech Swing Impact in the 2" size for a crappie/panfish bait and have a couple Gulp jars for those too.

Everyone starts their fishing careers using live bait of some sort so I won't knock it. I just find my bait confidence totally tied up in plastic or occasionally hair.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #20 on: 08/16/21 10:44 UTC »
I’m not sure how much difference the action of the jig hook position you may get more wobble wit the eye in the #1 bottom left of Penney is the standard hook I would think you would get a rocking motion #2 Top right of Penney position might give a wobble
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 08/16/21 20:04 UTC »
Oh I use plastics a lot. But some days the fish will not bite on plastics no mater what u do. So I always have some spikes/wax worms/mummy worms

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 08/17/21 13:59 UTC »
When the bite is tough on plastics I go to ice flies. I tie them on a #14 hook. A scud pattern with a tungsten bead head and the addition of a few deer hairs works incredibly well on neutral to negative bite days. And of coarse the best part is no live bait needed.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 08/17/21 19:07 UTC »
Oh I use plastics a lot. But some days the fish will not bite on plastics no mater what u do. So I always have some spikes/wax worms/mummy worms

I agree there are days the fish will definitely hit live bait more than plastics, but on those tougher days, I'll either shrink my offerings or use a fly like MikeJ, and simply choose to be content with those I get on my artificials... I tend to hold to the understanding that fish are there to feed me, not for me to feed them. ;D

Offline tacklebox07

• Minnow
« Reply #24 on: 08/17/21 19:44 UTC »
Mike J
Would you please post a picture of your #14 scud fly, very interested in a pattern like that.  thanks
« Last Edit: 08/17/21 19:49 UTC by tacklebox07 »

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 08/17/21 21:25 UTC »
Mike J
Would you please post a picture of your #14 scud fly, very interested in a pattern like that.  thanks

Sure thing.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 08/17/21 21:27 UTC »
Here's another

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 08/17/21 21:29 UTC »
This pattern works equally well.

Offline tacklebox07

• Minnow
« Reply #28 on: 08/19/21 20:24 UTC »
thanks for the pictures, great looking flies. What hook is that, those are beyond my skill level. thanks

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 08/19/21 20:47 UTC »
I like a gamakatsu C12-BM but a regular dry fly hook works ok too.