Author Topic: Got some sticks....  (Read 738 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Got some sticks....
« on: 09/25/21 20:31 UTC »
.... to dress up from the other side of the world, but they are niiiiiice.

These things are like having mirrors inside them. Unreal. The price was unreal cheap too. 3 weeks to the day to get them here.

This past summer we found a vast inside corner with water depths about 3 -6 feet and the bottom covered in some sort of non-emergent weeds. We thought bass but it was the pike that got our attention. We first started getting these toothy critters using weighted hooks and 4" Rippers but the pike told us they wanted a floating stick in about 7 inches in length just wiggled across the surface. The Raps we were using barely went into the water on the retrieve and were instant targets but those Balsa toys don't stand up to pike very well so we went to some Storm sticks and they did even better. For weed management we took the tail and last belly hooks off the lures leaving only the most forward treble and we still had hook-ups consistently. Some of these Mississippi River pike were in the 44" class and were not shy about snipping the 40 pound braid we used so we went with titanium leaders but those too created their own issues. So after about $80.00 worth of stick baits were either totaled or swam away it was apparent that I needed to do some painting and that's when I found a deal on these bodies. 10 of them. $6.00 and they were all gone at the end of my order. Now I have part of my winter task list ahead of me and I am looking forward to it since I'll be using Do-It's new line of air brush paints...../which, incidentally, are some super nice paints.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
Re: Got some sticks....
« Reply #1 on: 09/26/21 10:53 UTC »
 That's a great price for those blanks, looking forward to seeing what they look like when you paint them.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/29/21 18:01 UTC »
My second order of these nice sticks arrived today, 2 weeks to the day from order in China to my mailbox.

These have been a real hit with a couple buddies I fish with. I took one down to the river behind the house and cast it just to see how the action was and to get a general feel for the baits and was impressed with the action on a retrieve. I'm thinking that they'll do well on a three way trolled for walleyes as well as being cast to northerns. I have a couple new color schemes to put on them soon and pics will come as the baits are finished.

One thing I did already was to switch from a #4 treble to a #6 on all three hangars....far better lure action and not all that much given up to hooking potential. These are floating baits and the #4's were just too much weight.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Big Ugly

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 11/23/21 16:24 UTC »
Those are very nice along with the panted ones I saw the other day. Keep it up. God Bless you
Even when i can't see, I still believe.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/23/21 16:43 UTC »
Big Ugly.... these are sold right here at Do-It. I haven't got any paint blown on them yet but soon. Body length without the bill is 4 3/8". With the bill 5 1/4". I'm looking forward to teasing the pike again next year and these will be part of the arsenal. They do well on a 3-way for Walleyes too. These baits have the holographic foil inside them and while this picture was taken in waning light they really do a great job of reflecting. Transparent paints really come to life over these foiled bodies.

Do-It is really jumping on the wagon with all sorts of new products that the tackle crafter and get after.
« Last Edit: 11/23/21 16:46 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they