Author Topic: weighted hook hooks  (Read 944 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
weighted hook hooks
« on: 02/18/22 16:53 UTC »
For the last couple years I've been using weighted hooks with 4" Rippers while casting for pike. The mold, SMB-4S-EWG, makes a super nice weighted hook using the recommended 744 Extra Wide gap, superline, Gammi hooks and the only thing I don't care for is the small amount of plastic that holds the Rippers at the nose end. I've cast up a bunch in the 1/16 and 1/8 ounce weight using the VMC #7320, heavy, extra wide gap, hooks looking for a better bite at the plastic end of things. I haven't had them in the water yet but I already like that extra length between the locking bend and the eyes.

Seen here on the left and middle are the VMC hooks. The wire used is nearly identical to the Gammi diameter, if not the same size. The extra length at the plastic hooking end of things is very apparent. Actually the more acute angles in the plastic lock are more desirable to me in the VMC hooks...way more aggressive. The difference in hook gaps is negligible. As far as fitting the mold, no issue whatever. I think I'm going to like these hooks better than the Gammis. Water time will tell.

« Last Edit: 02/18/22 16:59 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
Re: weighted hook hooks
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/22 18:33 UTC »
Those look nice. I went with these VMC hooks for the same reason and better at keeping the keel on the bait.

Model 7340... I order from France by the 1000 each size... https://vmcpeche.com/products/wide-gap-jig-45%C2%B0-with-z-lock

« Last Edit: 02/18/22 18:38 UTC by 21xdc »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/22 21:05 UTC »
Those look like nice hooks too, 21. I fish the bass and pike for maybe four weeks and really put more emphasis on having a good time rather than catching a ton of fish. I know the Gammis handle pike to about 15-18 pounds and will be paying close attention to the VMCs on the larger fish. They're heavier hooks so I really don't imagine any issues. Those from France have an interesting extra hitch in there too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #3 on: 02/18/22 22:03 UTC »
Cool post guys! I've been a fan of VMC hooks now for a long time. I have the weighted hook mold, but have not really done a lot with it. I find that 7320 hook interesting, as I've been using their 7319 for several years as a fly hook. It's a similar hook with the longer front.

I may have to give it a try in that mold too.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/19/22 05:00 UTC »
Nice fly Bigjim!

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/19/22 06:22 UTC »
 I like the looks of that VMC. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/22 06:49 UTC »
Cool post guys! I've been a fan of VMC hooks now for a long time. I have the weighted hook mold, but have not really done a lot with it. I find that 7320 hook interesting, as I've been using their 7319 for several years as a fly hook. It's a similar hook with the longer front.

I may have to give it a try in that mold too.

I would never have thought of a weighted hook to be built into a fly/streamer like that.... That is awesome and don't spin on retrieve.

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #7 on: 02/19/22 22:12 UTC »
Thanks for the compliments!

That fly is on the same hook style, but it's not weighted from the mold. I'll wrap some lead wire sometimes, but molding lead onto the hook would make it heavier than I want to be casting with my fly gear. I just like that hook because of the longer front section since there's more room to tie on.  The hook under the fly, just shows the basic body wrap, and on that one there's no added weight.

They do work very well and no, spinning isn't a problem.

Offline JesseGDeluca

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 03/31/22 02:04 UTC »
I like War Eagle Heavy Finesse Jig. It works very well with powerful finesse. Especially when the bite is tough, this jig comes through for us time and time again.