Author Topic: Help with Go-Time powder paint  (Read 1046 times)

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
Help with Go-Time powder paint
« on: 04/25/22 10:10 UTC »
Before I get to my question I just want to say that I really like this color so far. The issue I'm having is getting the color right and that is proving difficult. Like most powder paint with glitter, a fluid bed isn't consistent as a lot of times you end up with no glitter or too much.

Anyway, what is happening to me is either the color comes out different no matter what I do.  I will put the paint in a small bowl and run the jig head through it. I sometimes get a dark green pumpkin with blue glitter and no black whatsoever. Then I back off on the heat and I get almost a golden watermelon with blue and some sparse black glitter.

I did a swim jig with it and the top of the jig was dark like green pumpkin and the bottom was the golden watermelon. I'm guessing the paint got a little heavier on top than the bottom. All of it looks great but it is very hard to get a consistent look. My question is how are you guys painting with it and are you able to get a consistent color with it, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Help with Go-Time powder paint
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/22 11:13 UTC »
I'm just going to take a guess that the color is created using more than one paint color and that one is heavier than the other and is why you're seeing separation. I stir the heck out of mine and use it right from the jar and haven't noticed this but then I haven't used a lot of it. What I did use it on wear smaller round head jigs so I'm sure there may be a difference there too. I did get what I thought was a very nice coverage though.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/25/22 13:55 UTC »
I'm just going to take a guess that the color is created using more than one paint color and that one is heavier than the other and is why you're seeing separation. I stir the heck out of mine and use it right from the jar and haven't noticed this but then I haven't used a lot of it. What I did use it on wear smaller round head jigs so I'm sure there may be a difference there too. I did get what I thought was a very nice coverage though.

Thanks Ctom, I appreciate your input. I'm very familiar using powder paint with different densities but this one has me kind of stumped. I never came across a color that was so heat sensitive to the point of it changing the color of the paint. The main reason I'm asking the question is that it is very hard to do like 6 jigs and have them all turn out the same color. If I just heat and dip the color is very dark with blue flake. If you want to see the black glitter you have to get the temp just right. It comes out like a watermelon with an almost gold tint.  The fluid bed is the one way the color comes out the same every time. The issue with the fluid bed is the glitter, one jig has no glitter and the next jig has too much glitter and it is all in one spot.  Doing crappie size jig heads is easy, it is the larger 3/8oz and up that I'm struggling with.

Offline brennan.chapman

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/22 16:30 UTC »
Hey smalljaw,

Ctom made a good point about differing densities. I know you're very familiar with the process, but be sure it's shaken very well and you might even shake it more regularly between jigs than you would your other colors if you're getting this problem consistently, particularly if you're not getting glitter evenly dispersed. I use this color frequently on Arky and Swimjig heads anywhere from 1/4-1/2oz with great results. I close the jar and smack it on my palm a few times after pouring 3-4 jigs. I'm sure the compaction from the entry of jig after jig in the jar adds to the already smaller tolerance of layering due to the density, so keeping it fluffed up is more critical with this color than some others. What is equally as important is the consistency in the time it's in the jar and how it's removed to keep the coat as even as you can. Some colors have a pretty wide tolerance for heat and the coating time but this one does not. This color likes to layer up quickly like the opaque colors (white, black, chartreuse, etc.) so it too might have a higher margin of error, and when it does overlayer, you'll lose the translucent quality and it will appear as more of an opaque Dark Watermelon base.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you're still having troubles.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/25/22 20:03 UTC »
Looking at the color for this some area's are darker and some lighter with a different mix of the glitter on it.  I don't use a lot of ProTec so I'd have to get some to play with it, but it could be the head is too hot.  I know I never use glitter in a fluid bed as it just doesn't seem to work well. 
« Last Edit: 04/25/22 20:20 UTC by Fatman »

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/26/22 04:47 UTC »
Hey smalljaw,

Ctom made a good point about differing densities. I know you're very familiar with the process, but be sure it's shaken very well and you might even shake it more regularly between jigs than you would your other colors if you're getting this problem consistently, particularly if you're not getting glitter evenly dispersed. I use this color frequently on Arky and Swimjig heads anywhere from 1/4-1/2oz with great results. I close the jar and smack it on my palm a few times after pouring 3-4 jigs. I'm sure the compaction from the entry of jig after jig in the jar adds to the already smaller tolerance of layering due to the density, so keeping it fluffed up is more critical with this color than some others. What is equally as important is the consistency in the time it's in the jar and how it's removed to keep the coat as even as you can. Some colors have a pretty wide tolerance for heat and the coating time but this one does not. This color likes to layer up quickly like the opaque colors (white, black, chartreuse, etc.) so it too might have a higher margin of error, and when it does overlayer, you'll lose the translucent quality and it will appear as more of an opaque Dark Watermelon base.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you're still having troubles.

Thanks Brennan, you have confirmed what I'm seeing. I actually put the color in a small bowl and every other jig I shake and stir to keep the powder and glitter evenly distributed. I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing and now I know.  My issue is most likely heat related but letting me know that   the color doesn't have a wide tolerance in heat and time really helps. As I said, every color I've ever used I've been able to figure out and get consistent results. Until this one...LOL!!!! Now that I know there isn't a wide margin of error I'll take my time and be more vigilant of the heat and time. Thank you.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/26/22 04:53 UTC »
Looking at the color for this some area's are darker and some lighter with a different mix of the glitter on it.  I don't use a lot of ProTec so I'd have to get some to play with it, but it could be the head is too hot.  I know I never use glitter in a fluid bed as it just doesn't seem to work well.

I appreciate the help Doug but if you haven't worked with this one yet it is different. Small heads are not an issue, it is the 1/4oz and up and I wasn't sure what the issue was. Brennan confirmed what I suspected, this color is very touchy as it isn't just a normal glitter color. There are both translucent and opaque colors in this powder and so the heat and time have to be right in order to get the effect right. The color is really good even when dark but when you get it right there isn't anything like it.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/26/22 12:29 UTC »
Thank you Brennan, Ctom, and Fatman!!!  I did 20 jigs today, from 1/8oz to 1/2oz and every one of those jigs came out great!! I will say this, the Go-Time powder paint is nice even if it gets dark.  It just took me a bit to figure out how to get the best results.

Offline brennan.chapman

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 04/26/22 14:45 UTC »
Thank you Brennan, Ctom, and Fatman!!!  I did 20 jigs today, from 1/8oz to 1/2oz and every one of those jigs came out great!! I will say this, the Go-Time powder paint is nice even if it gets dark.  It just took me a bit to figure out how to get the best results.

Sweet! Glad you have it dialed in. The darker version of this color is my preference!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/26/22 18:11 UTC »
I got to thinking about this after I posted earlier. You mentioned a swim head. If its anything like the Do-It swim head you have two distinct areas of varying thickness. The top will take heat slower than the lower portion and to get the top hot enough to take paint well the lower leg will be substantially hotter because it has less mass to heat. That may have an impact of the paint and the issues you described smalljaw. Just something more to think about. Happy that you found some equilibrium though.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast