Author Topic: Jig eyes clogging with powder coat  (Read 769 times)

Offline Mike Perry

• Minnow
Jig eyes clogging with powder coat
« on: 07/15/22 18:16 UTC »
New guy here trying to learn powder coat my own jigs.
Got the powder coat looking good after curing but my jig eyes are clogging with the powder coat when I dip them.
What's the secret to keeping the eyes clean?

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Jig eyes clogging with powder coat
« Reply #1 on: 07/15/22 19:02 UTC »
When you heat the jig, dip it in powder, then clean out the eye while it is still warm. If you  are painting larger jigs, cover the eye with a piece of shrink tube to start with. Another way for the small jigs...get a cup of water and two forceps. Use one pair of forceps to hold the jig while you warm it up. Then switch forceps (using the second pair to cover the hook eye) Now dip it in the powered paint. Now put the finished jig on your rack, take those forceps that covered the hook eye and stick them in the water. Clean them up, now get the first set of forceps and get the second jig warmed up. etc.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/15/22 21:36 UTC »
Welcome aboard Mike.

I use forceps to grasp the eye of the hook to paint all of my jigs. I do need to clean the forceps jaws after 50 or so jigs but that doesn’t set me back much time at all.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/15/22 22:35 UTC »
Welcome Mike Perry! By any chance an Iowa resident?
After dipping the jigs in powder coat and allowing to cool, squeezing the eye with needle nose pliers will usually crack the powder coating around the hook eye. It must be done before oven curing. Be careful not to squeeze hard enough to damage the hook.
« Last Edit: 07/15/22 22:36 UTC by Lines »

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #4 on: 07/17/22 12:48 UTC »
I coat a lot of jigs at one time, so use some small silicone caps that I get from a powder coat supply store. I bought several hundred of them in the sizes that I use. They make them in various sizes, and they will fit most hooks. For smaller size hook eyes, or those that the caps won't fit over,  I wrap them with teflon tape, that I buy from Harbor Freight. The tape is not expensive, but takes time to do, but the results are great, as it results in completely clean eyes. I'll often do that at night when I would not be doing anything anyway, and can wrap a few hundred jigs in a short time.  I have a tackle business, but that's not time I include in my costing, since it's time I would be wasting anyway.  this is something I learned many years ago, when I was only making jigs as a hobby, and just continue doing it.

With the silicone caps, they're also reusable, and can be quickly slipped over the eye on the heated jig, dipped in the powder and then remove the cap for curing, or I have put the caps on the hook eyes and hung them in my oven to heat them for coating.  The heat doesn't hurt the caps, but they do need to be cleaned eventually.

https://hightempmasking.com/collections/high-temp-silicone-end-caps

I tried the hemostats or pliers over the hook eyes, but I fumbled around too much and still got powder in the eyes. Some folks use shrink tubing, but it's not cheap, and you still can get powder on the eye.

The thing is, we all develop ways to accomplish the same thing, and what it boils down to is what you're comfortable with doing.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/17/22 14:14 UTC »
The thing is, we all develop ways to accomplish the same thing, and what it boils down to is what you're comfortable with doing.

Can't argue with that. Well said bigjim.