Author Topic: new but old idea regarding a wacky rig lure  (Read 405 times)

Offline senkosam

• Kicker
new but old idea regarding a wacky rig lure
« on: 07/09/22 21:23 UTC »
Wacky rigged Senkos started it all and GY became rich. Senkos had to have a certain formula to make them sink fast enough, yet were soft enough to cause that body/tail wobble but with no weight added. Smaller sticks didn't have the weight to drop fast enough and need a jig stuck to the center of the lure for that magic action.

I did come up with small stick designs that did have the action except the action is imparted by a jig hooked in the center of the lure. Regardless, the rod tip is the best way to add action with twitches.
This cone tail stick has a good action:

The tips were cut from a stick cavity mold and added to a grub body.

This stick came from a mold but was dipped back into hot plastic to thicken the lure:

The one on the left was the first-ever and caught fish immediately!

I made the tails longer for bass:

A friend gave me a package of spike tail grubs and since I wouldn't use them, I cut off the thin tails and added them to a grub body:

I wasn't sure how well they would work, so two days ago I was working pad gaps, holes and edges and after casting it, adding action to the lure, I got fish to attack immediately; and the strikes continued on the next retrieve if the fish didn't get hooked the first time! Good thing I have a mini-stick multi-cavity mold!

« Last Edit: 07/09/22 21:30 UTC by senkosam »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: new but old idea regarding a wacky rig lure
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/22 09:40 UTC »
WOW! I'm surprised that bluegill would hit a "large " lure like that considering the size of their mouth. Something different for me to try! Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/22 14:07 UTC »
WOW! I'm surprised that bluegill would hit a "large " lure like that considering the size of their mouth. Something different for me to try! Thanks for the ideas.

Me too! That's awesome senkosam.

Offline senkosam

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/24/22 08:54 UTC »
Thanks guys.
Since that initial post I've named the design Whiskers for obvious reasons. ;) Here are a few other pics taken at a different lake to confirm the design's effectiveness:
foot long crappie    white perch:

and pumpkinseed:

The lure caught a dozen or more that day and never came off the hook. I figure that due to the severe drought, the water level is going down and the concentration of suspended algae going up. I figure the fish need all the sonic help they can get to get them beyond neutral-active!
« Last Edit: 07/24/22 09:06 UTC by senkosam »