Author Topic: Crappie spinner…..sweet little rig.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Crappie spinner…..sweet little rig.
« on: 08/15/21 22:31 UTC »
Picked up a crappie spinner mold off of eBay for $25 shipped. Makes some sweet crappie spinners. What do you guys use for skirts on it? Tried a tube jig looked ok….

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Crappie spinner…..sweet little rig.
« Reply #1 on: 08/16/21 06:15 UTC »
I fished crappie sized spinners years ago but haven't had one on a line in maybe 10 years. I just don't care for them. Friends tinker with them and they'll add all sorts of stuff to the heads for tail dressing but I think twister tails are used more than anything with the tube you've shown second in line. Like anything crappie I don't think there's a wrong add on with the spinners.

I will say that I have seen some really decent fish taken on the spinners including an 8 pound walleye a buddy nailed fishing rip rap on the Mississippi River one day. They work but I just never found favor with them in spite of the fact that I still have several in packages from years past.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 08/17/21 10:16 UTC »
The ones I make, I just use bucktail of various colors.  We toss them as micro spinnerbaits for bass.  Never have caught a crappie on one but the bass like them at times.

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 09/17/21 06:46 UTC »
I have that mold as well but don't use the hooks they suggest. I pour mine with Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks in size 1-4. They are super sharp and I love sharp hooks. If I'm using plastics I prefer 2-3" Keitech baits but usually go with my hand tied spinnerbaits. 

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #4 on: 11/04/21 11:04 UTC »
I make similar spinnerbaits, dressed with a variety of materials. Some with silicone or rubber, some with hair and some with marabou.

This one is tied with marabou.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/21 11:06 UTC »
This is on that same frame, but with an upgraded hook.