Author Topic: Getting rid of Epoxy on paint brush for reuse  (Read 459 times)

Offline Johnny Bass

• Kicker
  • Bassin'
What up guys and gals
   I have some horse hair brushes sitting/soaking in some rubbing alcohol to get rid of the epoxy that has dried on the brush.
 I am trying to get rid of the epoxy to reuse the brushes.  What else do you think will work to break down and get ride of epoxy?
Would denatured alcohol work? Any suggestions?
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Getting rid of Epoxy on paint brush for reuse
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/23 17:09 UTC »
Acethone would likely do it but the evaporation rate on it is incredible. You'd maybe have to put the brushes in a small jar of it, then wrap the top of the jar and brushes with foil while the brushes soak. Epoxy is best applied with disposable or old brushes.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/23 18:11 UTC »
Not much will cut dried epoxy. Acetone works before it hardens.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #3 on: 02/04/23 10:18 UTC »
Check with paint stores or hardware stores to see if they sell empty quart paint cans and lids. Acetone will break down dried epoxy some, and in a sealed can won't evaporate like it would in an open container.

I use ethyl alcohol (camp stove fuel) for thinning epoxy, and prefer it to rubbing alcohol as it has less water in it. I also only thin for using epoxy as a coating, such as on fly rod poppers. However, I have cleaned brushes with rubbing alcohol and as has been said it, it's best used with epoxy that has not cured.

I also use cheap plastic bristle hobby brushes for working with epoxy, and clean them for reuse, but eventually they get tossed. I used some natural hair brushes once, many years ago and learned they're not ideal if you want to try & salvage them.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/23 16:51 UTC »
Back in the day when I was building many rods, I used natural hair brushes for the epoxy topcoat. One trick I learned to save brushes, and make them much easier to clean between uses, was to saturate the brush hairs with thinner then squeeze the excess out before applying the epoxy coating.  When finished immediately clean the brush thoroughly with epoxy thinner. Acetone was best then denatured alcohol. Once epoxy hardens in the bristles, it's a bear to get it all out.

Offline Johnny Bass

• Kicker
  • Bassin'
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/23 12:46 UTC »
Thanks guys!
   Super helpful...I can tell you one thing, airbrushing and airbrushing cranks is addicting.
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/23 15:35 UTC »
Its a rabbit hole that is hard to get out of.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast