Author Topic: Gary Yamamoto swimming jig mold.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Gary Yamamoto swimming jig mold.
« on: 03/19/23 19:52 UTC »
I've seen this is now discontinued. I do like the mold and was going to get one. However I can't find any hooks for it. Does anyone know if there is a hook substitute? Did they quit making the hooks?

If there isn't any more hooks or a hook substitute.... I'll end up passing on it.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Gary Yamamoto swimming jig mold.
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/23 20:21 UTC »
Nope. No hooks for that mold. Try Zeiners to see if they have any left over.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/19/23 20:42 UTC »
As Tom said there are not any substitutes I am aware of and I haven't found anywhere online that still has any.  I have a small supply, but when there gone, I guess I'll have to try and modify the mold to take a different hook. 

It's a shame, as it has worked well for me.  Truth be told, I've never used it for plastics but i have used it for trolling flies.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/19/23 21:39 UTC »
Dang. Kinda disappointed. that looked like it would have been a great jig for fishing my senkos. Guess I'll have to stick to my worm weights Texas rigged.

I'm surprised no long shank Aberdeen hooks with a sideways eye are around and would fit.

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/19/23 21:45 UTC »
With all of the different style of hooks out there, it is possible there is something that could be twisted or the mold, slightly modified to work, I just haven't found one (although I haven't tried super hard either). 

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #5 on: 03/20/23 09:38 UTC »
I have that mold, and had bought a big box of hooks, that are not for that mold, but with a small modification I have made them work. I think that's going to be the case, is find a hook that will work, even if you have to modify the mold.

I had actually bought the hooks with the idea of using them to make fly rod poppers, as they had a offset bend in the shank. Thee are like some of the old Charlie Brewer slider jig hooks, but are black nickel & very sharp. I have no idea who made them, or who had them made. You know with Ebay, sometimes you find things that later work well for something else, especially with fish hooks.

BTW, the standup molds are like that too, as hooks are sometimes hard to get that fit. I've got a modified mold that takes a regular 90 degree Aberdeen jig hook, and don't know why that wasn't done in the first place. I never cared for having the hook eye right on the bottom, as that seemed to bang up the line knot too much. The 90 degree hooks are very popular and work a lot better.

I'll try & take some photo's of the Yamamoto jigs with the hooks I have.  :D

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 03/20/23 21:54 UTC »
Thanks big jim, but don't bother.

I'm not going to pay the $56 for a mold then have to find a hook that maybe works.

I've only modified two molds since I started casting lures. One was an old bass casting sinker mold & the other was an old bottom bouncer mold. I made them so the weights had a stem and I could use them to cast like the Wing it quick swap bottom bouncers and weights. both worked well. I just hate to modify a mold because the resale value pretty much plummets on it.

If I could find a hook that worked and didn't need to modify the mold.....I'd be all over it though.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 03/20/23 22:24 UTC »
Thanks big jim, but don't bother.

I'm not going to pay the $56 for a mold then have to find a hook that maybe works.

I've only modified two molds since I started casting lures. One was an old bass casting sinker mold & the other was an old bottom bouncer mold. I made them so the weights had a stem and I could use them to cast like the Wing it quick swap bottom bouncers and weights. both worked well. I just hate to modify a mold because the resale value pretty much plummets on it.

If I could find a hook that worked and didn't need to modify the mold.....I'd be all over it though.

Well, I was looking at Barlow Tackle's website tonight and they still have the hooks listed for the Yamamoto mold in 2/0. 3/0 & 4/0.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 03/21/23 08:24 UTC »
Well, I was looking at Barlow Tackle's website tonight and they still have the hooks listed for the Yamamoto mold in 2/0. 3/0 & 4/0.

Try to add to cart......all are out of stock. I found one website with one package of 25 in the 4/0 size......not enough hooks to buy the mold in my opinion.

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 03/21/23 17:11 UTC »
I haven't tried it yet, but you may be able to use a long shank straight hook (thinking spinnerbait style) and some kind of mini wire form for the eye.  As long as the connectionis in the lead, it should be solid.  However,  I could be wrong.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/22/23 11:01 UTC »
I haven't tried it yet, but you may be able to use a long shank straight hook (thinking spinnerbait style) and some kind of mini wire form for the eye.  As long as the connectionis in the lead, it should be solid.  However,  I could be wrong.

There's not a lot of lead in some of those mold cavities for adding a wire form. I have considered modifying the mold at the hook eye to use spinnerbait hooks, since the eye configuration is usually different, but most are rather short in length. I have seen some spinnerbait hooks with the eye turned like is on the hooks made for that mold, but don't know of a dependable source.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/22/23 21:09 UTC »
There's not a lot of lead in some of those mold cavities for adding a wire form. I have considered modifying the mold at the hook eye to use spinnerbait hooks, since the eye configuration is usually different, but most are rather short in length. I have seen some spinnerbait hooks with the eye turned like is on the hooks made for that mold, but don't know of a dependable source.

Kinda what I have been looking for. A long shank hook with the eye turned…..should fit the mold fine….however trying to find a long shank hook with the eye turned is really being dificult to find.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #12 on: 03/23/23 23:36 UTC »
https://barlowstackle.com/Gamakatsu-Jig-Hooks-Style-474-P380/

They sure are out of stock.
Good thing I have plenty for my needs 😁
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 03/25/23 00:23 UTC »
Wonder if do it could have victory just make a hook stat would fit.  I think if the just made the 30* round bend.....and just stop before the bend when making the hook....

Offline JRC1

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 03/27/23 18:53 UTC »
You can take a eagleclaw L2724 or a mustad same number 30 degree jig hook and just bend the eye straight thats what ive been doing for awhile now and works just fine they only come in 4/0 and 5/0 so if your looking for a smaller size thats not going to work for you