Author Topic: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold  (Read 507 times)

Offline Colton.moir

  • Minnow
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« on: 02/24/21 10:54 UTC »
Hello all, I am a very very introduction bait maker and just purchased a stone mold and in my excitement didn't think about doing research prior to pouring plastic and didn't have worm oil. So now I am stuck with plastic in my mold that I can not seem to get out. Any suggestions? Do you think a wire brush would ruin the detail on my mold?

Offline ctom

  • Lunker
  • *****
  • Posts: 10073
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #1 on: 02/24/21 12:58 UTC »
Welcome aboard the Do-It forums.

Use a soft toothbrush to work the plastic out of the ribbing in the stone molds. Before injecting the mold again give the sides a light spray of WD40. Set the mold halves, cavity side down, on some newspaper or paper towel for a couple minutes, then wipe off the mating surfaces and clamp up and inject. You'll  likely need to repeat this every injection or two until the stone has seasoned a bit but keep the wd handy whenever you use the stone. Its quick and painless and really moves things along with the stone molds. I have a handful of the ribbed stone molds and now need to hit with the wd about every 5 or 6 injections.

I have some aluminum molds of the same baits in the stone and they require zip and inject very clean.

Offline Colton.moir

  • Minnow
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #2 on: 02/24/21 14:30 UTC »
Sweet I just tried that and it works my other big question and I assume I am most likely burning or over heating the plastic, but when my baits come out of the mold I let them cool in cold water and often leave them overnight, and they go from clearish depending on the color to flat opaque with barely any visibility of the flake I used. Any suggestions or thoughts on what I am doing wrong. Thank you for welcoming me to the community!

Offline Fishermanbt

  • Kicker
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #3 on: 02/24/21 16:08 UTC »
Welcome to the family. First get a prob style thermometer and heat your raw plastic to 350°. Then add your glitter. Try to keep your reheating to around 320-340°.  Although 320ish is more than good and your glitter will thank you.  Your problem with cloudy baits is by leaving them in water for an extended period of time they are pulling water into them. If you want to use water to cool the bait that’s fine but only for a few minutes. Then pat them dry with a towel and lay them out on a cookie sheet or hang them to set up for the amount of time you feel they have fully set up.
« Last Edit: 02/24/21 16:10 UTC by Fishermanbt »

Offline ctom

  • Lunker
  • *****
  • Posts: 10073
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #4 on: 02/24/21 16:29 UTC »
Sweet I just tried that and it works my other big question and I assume I am most likely burning or over heating the plastic, but when my baits come out of the mold I let them cool in cold water and often leave them overnight, and they go from clearish depending on the color to flat opaque with barely any visibility of the flake I used. Any suggestions or thoughts on what I am doing wrong. Thank you for welcoming me to the community!

What you're describing is undercooked plastic.....that which has not been heated to 350 to get the complete conversion done. I'd also suggest that the digital, probe type of thermometer [Do-It sells a dandy] be used for all subsequent batches so you are positive that the magic 350 degree mark has been reached. Re-melting or re-heating already cooked plastic will not have to be cooked to the 350 degree mark to use it again. Also, I do not like using water baths on freshly molded plastic. Either lay the baits out with the tails looking like the cavity of the mold or hand the baits from the stringer for a few hours or even a couple days [better].

Offline Colton.moir

  • Minnow
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #5 on: 02/25/21 14:40 UTC »
Would a basic like kitchen probe thermometer work?

Offline Colton.moir

  • Minnow
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #6 on: 02/25/21 14:42 UTC »
Also any recommendations on brands of plastic I just got a gallon of Dead on Plastix black bucket (very excited to try it), but curious if there are any other brands in a similar price range and quality? And for jig head "tying" would a fly tying vise work to hold the jig head?

Offline Fishermanbt

  • Kicker
  • ****
  • Posts: 392
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #7 on: 02/25/21 15:50 UTC »
Would a basic like kitchen probe thermometer work?
I picked up a digital one in the kitchen section at Walmart. Not sure it’s dead accurate but it works.
As for plastic you will have to decide for yourself on what plastic works for you and how you pour. Some are pretty sensitive to over heating while others have a bit of forgiveness.
Tying jigs I use a fly tying vice that is designed for larger hooks than just small flies.

Offline Shaunm81

  • Lunker
  • *****
  • Posts: 540
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #8 on: 02/25/21 16:35 UTC »
Would a basic like kitchen probe thermometer work?

Welcome to the  board  and  a kitchen  probe thermometer will work just fine I've used the Do it one and ones from Walmart for quite a while without issues just make sure it is  a digital one.   Also you cant beat  the Dead On plastic. I buy in the 5 gallon buckets from them and yeah you don't have to heat to 350 every time  I just usually heat to 305 ish to 315 on reheats using it and it is so much easier on the glitter the lower you can keep remelts.

Offline efishnc

  • Lunker
  • *****
  • Posts: 1955
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #9 on: 02/25/21 19:07 UTC »
Tying jigs I use a fly tying vice that is designed for larger hooks than just small flies.

Agreed... I tied walleye jigs for most of my life using a basic fly tying vise.

Offline Les Young

  • Kicker
  • ****
  • Posts: 230
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #10 on: 02/25/21 20:04 UTC »
I have a few artificial  stone molds & haven't ever had this happen & i don't oil them before injecting. I wonder why i don't have it happen?

Offline Colton.moir

  • Minnow
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #11 on: 02/25/21 20:53 UTC »
First thing first I just tried the dead on plastix and it is utterly awesome and for the stone molds it only happens with certain plastics I have had two brands work in my stone mold and one went horribly wrong causing me to ask this forum. Thank you to all who answered my large questions due to my massive lack of knowledge.

Offline ctom

  • Lunker
  • *****
  • Posts: 10073
Re: Dried plastic stuck in Stone Mold
« Reply #12 on: 02/25/21 21:09 UTC »
I have several of the stone molds in 1.5", 2" and 3" for the Keitech Swing Impacts. Very fine ribbing in these. I've tried Caney Creek soft, Essential and MF medium, even softened MF medium, and all have had release issues unless the stone has been treated. The aluminum molds in the 2" Keitech Swing Impact releases beautifully.