Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 603 times)

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
Hello everyone
« on: 03/28/21 04:44 UTC »
Question I got an 5 gallon bucket of plastisol  this can be a mess scooping out an cup at a time . I was thinking about an ice tea glass jug with spout on the bottom like the jugs that laundry detergents come in. If I mix-up well in 5 gallon any problems with this ? Thanks

Offline Bass Boys

• Keeper
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: 03/28/21 06:24 UTC »
 That is the best way .  Make sure its mixed very well then put into smaller containers. Just make sure your containers are Clean and that the containers you use can be mixed well before use.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/28/21 07:40 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums pa.jay!

You need to be careful in storing this raw plastic in just any old plastic container as it can attack and soften several different plastics. Its been my experience that hard plastics, such as a juice pitcher, might be suspect. Think in terms of quart or pint milk/half and half containers. I'd be doing a month-long test on any container prior to filling one up. As for filling with less mess, try pouring a couple three quarts from your bucket into an ice cream bucket that's been well washed, the funnel into the smaller containers from there.

Again, welcome aboard!

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/28/21 08:42 UTC »
I have been using those Thermos brand jugs to store my plastics in (the kind you take on a picnic or see on construction sites).  My original one was an old 5 gall one that I rescued and I liked it so well I bought a new 2 gallon one because it fits my needs better.  Just pour the plastic in and stir with a large spoon.  I dispense straight from the spout.  Works well for me.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 03/28/21 10:34 UTC »
Welcome to the family. You can just buy the pump part but you have to take the 5 gallon cover off in order to use and after you get to a curtain spot in the pale you can just pour it .
« Last Edit: 03/28/21 15:30 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/28/21 15:53 UTC »
Welcome

Online basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/28/21 16:57 UTC »
Welcome aboard.

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 03/28/21 17:06 UTC »
Thank you All ! I had a long reply written but I don't know what happen !
 Do I have to type the verification every time ?

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 03/29/21 20:37 UTC »
COME you were right on the money with the plastic reacting with hard plastic . I only lost about 3 cups lucky I went through the basement to go to work I noticed it on the floor . I don't know if the plastic broke down and  cracked of just broke down . I went with someone's suggestion I got the igloo cooler like for baseball 5 gallon tub with spout .

Offline Bass Boys

• Keeper
« Reply #9 on: 03/31/21 04:14 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums pa.jay!

You need to be careful in storing this raw plastic in just any old plastic container as it can attack and soften several different plastics. Its been my experience that hard plastics, such as a juice pitcher, might be suspect. Think in terms of quart or pint milk/half and half containers. I'd be doing a month-long test on any container prior to filling one up. As for filling with less mess, try pouring a couple three quarts from your bucket into an ice cream bucket that's been well washed, the funnel into the smaller containers from there.

Again, welcome aboard!

Wow,
 I have been making soft plastic baits for 15 years and have never had a jug fail. I guess I just got lucky and never used a hard plastic jug . It stands to reason ,,, I have saw worms eat into tackle box trays. Hmmm.
  Great advice .

Online Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/31/21 06:47 UTC »
Welcome to the forum.   Yes Ctom is right on with the plastisol  breaking down certain types of plastic  containers
being stored in  so yes definitely be careful. I tell you what you can do is wait until you use up a 5 gallon bucket of the plastisol and then go buy you a spiqot and drill you a hole in your empty bucket and install it with a good seal. I see guys doing it on Facebook groups I'm part of without any issues.
« Last Edit: 03/31/21 06:53 UTC by Shaunm81 »