Author Topic: Dipping swim baits  (Read 3178 times)

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
Dipping swim baits
« on: 04/19/21 06:31 UTC »
Those that dip them whats your process ? I been dipping my hard baits I make in kbs but that's easy cause of the eyelets on the lures .how are you dipping and hanging the swim baits ?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Dipping swim baits
« Reply #1 on: 04/19/21 07:20 UTC »
You want to use the thinnest, clearest and softest plastisol available.  I have a tall borosilicate beaker I use to dip my swimbaits in.  If using a standard "medium" durometer plastic, I add a tablespoon of softener to it to thin it out and get it nice and hot and dip the bait to the end of the hook slot.  You don't want to dip too much of the tail or it will impact the swimming action of the bait.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 04/19/21 14:57 UTC »
Most use 50 / 50 Softener to plastic. Limit the amount of reheats.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 04/19/21 20:24 UTC »
So in reality i just need to dip the front to keep eyes in place . Thanks all !!!

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 04/20/21 04:23 UTC »
So in reality i just need to dip the front to keep eyes in place . Thanks all !!!

Correct.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/20/21 09:56 UTC »

Pretty much.  Some will dip to help make sure their bait doesn't de-laminate if they're pouring multiple colors without a heat gun/griddle to keep the layers hot so they get a good bond.

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 04/20/21 19:55 UTC »
Maybe cart before horse I already oiled my baits will the clear coat still stick or do I need to wash off oil ? Think I know the answer already BUT I read where guys add oil to plastisol to float bait .

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/21/21 08:55 UTC »
You should definitely clear dip before adding any oil to your baits for packaging.

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 04/22/21 04:22 UTC »
Maybe cart before horse I already oiled my baits will the clear coat still stick or do I need to wash off oil ? Think I know the answer already BUT I read where guys add oil to plastisol to float bait .

add oil to float bait ????

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/22/21 07:14 UTC »
BUT I read where guys add oil to plastisol to float bait .

You can coat finished baits with worm oil to help them prevent sticking to each other of taking an un-wanted twist in a storage box/bag, but adding any oil to the actual plastisol is not going to help float a finished bait and can mess up the finished plastic. Baits oiled in a bag can be washed off with alcohol if one wants to back up and clear coat eyes. Oil mixed into the plastic itself will do nothing but screw up the plastic itself.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 04/24/21 20:24 UTC »
got ya ! Thanks Maybe I misread post then .

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: 05/10/21 20:03 UTC »
ok dipped the head of the swimbaits tried it at 350 to 380 degrees can not get it to bond . I can pull it off with just rubbing finger against it . ?? Whats the trick ?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 05/11/21 12:52 UTC »
ok dipped the head of the swimbaits tried it at 350 to 380 degrees can not get it to bond . I can pull it off with just rubbing finger against it . ?? Whats the trick ?

Have the swimbaits been sitting for a while?  If so, some oil may have leeched out of the plastic not letting the clear coat bond well.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 05/11/21 16:36 UTC »
Have the swimbaits been sitting for a while?  If so, some oil may have leeched out of the plastic not letting the clear coat bond well.
Might try some isopropyl alcohol on a cloth rag (not a paper towel) and lightly wipe off the area that you are dipping.

Offline pa.jay

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 05/12/21 20:05 UTC »
thank you ! will try that