Author Topic: Bucktail Flair  (Read 1141 times)

Offline cueball

• Minnow
Bucktail Flair
« on: 04/21/21 18:42 UTC »
For bucktail walleye jigs wondering what everyone's preference is for amount of flair in the bucktail?  Attached is picture of a couple I have tied.  Would appreciate any feed back on preference between the two.

Thanks

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Bucktail Flair
« Reply #1 on: 04/21/21 19:00 UTC »
The bottom jig is the way I tie mine. Less bucktail, more flair means more movement in the water.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/21/21 19:03 UTC »
You ought to run the table with those cueball! Looking good.
The lower jig, more flare is my preference.
« Last Edit: 04/21/21 19:17 UTC by Lines »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/21/21 20:26 UTC »
I know they're just fish but I have seen where the amount of flair can make a difference day to day.  I don't use buckies much anymore, but when I did I always hade a couple of each as you've shown in each color to cover the preference.

Nice ties, you should stop in more often!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/21/21 22:48 UTC »
I seldom use bucktail jigs anymore, but I always went with the most flare I could get... I wanted the shape to contract and expand as they were pulled through the water and paused... I just had more confidence in a changing shape.

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 04/24/21 05:24 UTC »
 do they hold there shape in the water ??  Or does the flair go away when wet ?

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/24/21 07:01 UTC »
The flair will be present in the water. When you pull the jig the flair will collaspe ; then go back to flair when the jig stops moving.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/24/21 07:03 UTC »
The flair will be present in the water. When you pull the jig the flair will collaspe ; then go back to flair when the jig stops moving.

Yes, the bucktail flair/shape is the same underwater when stationary, but it collapses when pulled (due to water friction)... it's the same basic principle (though more noticeable) with a curly tailed grub, it holds its shape when stationary and changes when pulled.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 04/24/21 11:45 UTC »
Both I’ve seen work but 95 percent of the time I pick flaired. But there are people that use minnows that they prefer closer to the shank so head is exposed.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #9 on: 04/24/21 21:21 UTC »
I'll tie with bucktail with varying degree of flair, and with flies or jigs. It often depends on the profile and amount of movement I want from the hair so I often have a desired affect in mind when I start to tie.

There is no wrong way to use bucktail, unless you're chopping off the tips to get a desired length, because then you lose some of the natural appearance and movement.

Keep in mind that bucktail is buoyant so the more hair you use on a jig or fly, and the more bulk you add, the slower it will fall for any specific weight. That means a one ounce jig with a lot of hair will fall slower than the same jig with half as much hair. Flair in how the hair is tied, might also improve that slower fall rate since it effectively creates a larger cross sectional area and more drag.

However, generally the hair from the base of a tail will flair more anyway, than the hair closer to the tip of the tail, so that can be factored into how you like to use the hair. I tend to "blend" also to try & get a desired fall rate & movement.

I'll tie some flies with the hair that flairs less, and sparse, such as when tying Clouser Minnows, and use the hair that flairs more on larger jigs where I may want the added bulk and more buoyancy.

Then of course there's the collar shape on a jig that can also cause more or less flair.

IMO, there can be very good reasons to tie with a plan, so you use the hair you have to the best advantage for how you want the fly or jig to appear and to act in the water, which frankly a lot of folks don't give much thought.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/25/21 08:01 UTC »
IMO, there can be very good reasons to tie with a plan, so you use the hair you have to the best advantage for how you want the fly or jig to appear and to act in the water, which frankly a lot of folks don't give much thought.

Bingo.

These 1/64 heads are tied using feather fiber, tied very sparsely. In the water the fibers suck into a thin strand of color. Summer sunfish go bonkers over these little guys, no nothing added. The sunfish, when they are on these jigs, are feeding heavily on the very tiny young of the year minnow fry that create huge shoals of baits on shallow flats and any more bulk and they won't hit. When the fall water cools down these won't draw a hit even tipped, they sunnies want bulkier jigs then. These small jigs offer a tiny profile that instantly resembles those fry [only with color] while a jig with more aggressive hair or feather would not get looked at much less hit.

Day to day, walleyes can show a very pointed preference in the bulk of a jig. Having a few different jigs with varying amounts of hair and flare can be a winner. Sure as heck if you short yourself on selection the walleyes will want what you can't offer.
« Last Edit: 04/27/21 09:19 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/27/21 08:07 UTC »

Day to day, walleyes can show a very pointed preference in the bulk of a jig. Having a few different jigs with varying amounts of hair and flare can be a winner. Sure as heck if you short yourself on selection the walleyes will want what you can't offer.

X2