Author Topic: Use zip ties to attach silicone or rubber skirts to bass jigs  (Read 10631 times)

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
deleted
« Last Edit: 12/10/23 10:24 UTC by senkosam »

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
Heck of an idea!!!

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
  I'm sure that works and the fish don't care but I like how they look better when hand tied. The reason I went to making my own baits was because I knew I could make a better bait then they were selling me. I didn't care so much about the cost as I did the quality of the bait. So I give each bait special attention to detail. I know it just a hobby but to me it's a pride thing too.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
  They make a rubber collar that you can tie your skirts on and then slip them on and off your spinnerbaits if that's what you want to do. It would be a lot easier then using zip ties out on the water.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
   No I get what your saying.  To me it's kind of like Christmas trees. One guy likes to go out to the woods and cut a fresh tree and drag it to the house. Fill it full of old family memories that loved ones and children have made in the past. To them it's more then just a tree. It's pride on keeping a long tradition alive. The next guy goes to the dime store buys the cheapest tree and decorations he can find and says hey it works for me. Then there's me, I have an old ceramic tree that was my moms. I plug it in on the end table and say hey it's Christmas. I don't like the mess. So there ya have it. All three guys have a tree and all three guys says it works for them.
   Oh and when you post something on here and ask for opinions and you get one or two. Don't think their bashing your stuff. They are only trying to help you make it better. That's what we have always done here. Make things better.
« Last Edit: 10/21/15 06:22 UTC by Lamar »

Offline kevin

• Kicker
how bout the boss skirt collars.. they are little o rings

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
I don't like the o rings they don't last. I like the rubber bands and then hand tie with wire

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
I don't make/use these kinds of skirted jigs .
I use a different type of skirt.
I wire all of mine on though and I like the looks of one's guys have wired on.
If the zip ties (and other ideas)
Work for you keep using them.
We all have our own ideas and preferences.
Not everyone likes the same thing.

Offline kevin

• Kicker
I don't like the o rings they don't last. I like the rubber bands and then hand tie with wire
what type wire do u  use?

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
26 or 24 gauge wire. It's used in bead necklaces.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
I'm in the same camp as Lamar, for me I like to try to make my baits look professional even though the fish don't care. When I give a lure as a gift I want the person to see that I did a good job and took the time to make sure it looked good. I understand both sides, there are those that are just after the fish and functional is the main thing and I think that is great but not for me. On spinnerbaits I use 26 gauge wire because I want it to be strong but also look nice, the wire has to wrapped  in a way that makes it look as if a small o-ring was used when in fact it is wire. Om my jigs I like thread, it is super strong and just shows that there was some effort put into it and at the end of the day all that really matters is that you are satisfied with what you made, and if the answer is yes then there is nothing else to add.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
I use thread, wire ties and the rubber collars depending on material and intended longevity.   Jigs, which are easiest for pike to rob me of, get the rubber collars; my wire form baits, which seldom get bit off, typically get thread or wire ties... and any natural fibers always get thread. 

One of these days, if I ever remember, I'm going to try Denny's thin strand wire method, but old habits die hard.