Author Topic: 8 my bait powder paint  (Read 12133 times)

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
8 my bait powder paint
« on: 07/31/14 17:23 UTC »
Hey guys just wondering if anybody has experience with this powder paint? I found it on eBay. The seller is sivasama if you wanna look it up! How does it compare to pro tec? Just thought I'd check before ordering. Thanks guys

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
Re: 8 my bait powder paint
« Reply #1 on: 07/31/14 18:36 UTC »
Most of the colors he lists as having used Pro-Tec.  It's good powder but a bunch of us are using automotive powder paint and it works fine, and cures the same.  Here's a few I've bought from (if you plan on doing and glitter coats buy the clear by the pound, you'll use more than you think!!!)

Rosys Powder  http://www.roseyspowdercoating.com/all.html

Columbia Coating  http://www.columbiacoatings.com/  The only paint sampler from them I won't buy again is the Dormant as you have to put the base color first and all of them look silver on your jig head!! cure for 10 minutes then dip in high gloss clear.  I mixed them and dipped one time and they came out all right but still a pain

Powder by the pound https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 07/31/14 20:23 UTC »
Thanks for the help! So I have kind of a dumb question. So I take it doesn't have to be special powder paint for jigs?

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/31/14 20:36 UTC »
Sorry guys I am brand new to lure making! I plan to start this winter! So if I use pro tec glitter paints I'm assuming those have to have a clear over them as well?

Offline Edgecrusher

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 08/01/14 03:08 UTC »
No, they are usually clear with the glitter mixed. It itself is usually a topcoat.

Offline Edgecrusher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 08/01/14 03:08 UTC »
I second about not using dormants, very easy to mess them up since you can't tell coverage well

Offline biglewers

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/01/14 07:08 UTC »
I love using automotive powder.  It works great and its cheaper.   Lots and Lots of colors to choose from.

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 08/01/14 09:19 UTC »
Thanks for all the help guys! Any other good places to order automotive paint from?

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/01/14 15:15 UTC »
I have used CSI paints almost exclusively.  For as much coverage ( as many jig heads ) as you get out of a bottle, and as good as it works for me,  I just don't play with other paints.  The only time I have was for a particular color that CSI did not have anything real close to  ( several years ago ).

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/04/14 10:26 UTC »
I like the CSI powder but they don't have some colors and some of the automotive powders what you pay for a pound you'd only get several ounces of the CSI - strictly cost savings for me.  Plus I mix colors and glitters so again it's cost savings.   

You could buy a pound of clear and get the Jacquard PearlEx powder and mix an 1/8th of a teaspoon with 2 tablespoons of clear and you'll get some nice colors.  If you hit a Michaels or Hobby Lobby 50% off sale they'll be around $13 a pack.  Here's more info at the Jacquards Site http://www.jacquardproducts.com/pearl-ex-pigments.html

« Last Edit: 08/04/14 10:50 UTC by Fatman »

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 08/04/14 10:31 UTC »
Thanks for the reply fatman! Did you try including some pics? It looks like you did, and I can't see them!

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 08/04/14 10:51 UTC »
Got it fixed buddy!!

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 08/04/14 10:55 UTC »
Thanks fatman, I have no problem viewing it now!

Offline walleyetracker85

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 08/04/14 11:01 UTC »
Does that pearlex cure at the same time and temp as the pro tec? Thanks for the help

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 08/04/14 12:04 UTC »
Yep cures just fine!!!  Unless you dip one for too long and get the paint heavy!!LOL  Here's how I know!!!LOL  Had to add a bit more clear to it. 

This is the Pearl EX flamingo pink