Author Topic: Smoked cheese  (Read 12007 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Smoked cheese
« Reply #45 on: 01/01/17 09:36 UTC »
Happy birthday 2XL!

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #46 on: 01/01/17 11:08 UTC »
Since it's just the GF and I now, I don't do too many butts in the winter = a couple.   They turn out too much meat for just us two and I would rather not freeze the leftovers if I don't have to. Butts are more a summer thing for me when we have the kids and friends come over for a cookout or something. I like the summer gigs as I do ABTs , Fatties, a desert like smoked apples.

I'm going to smoke some Provolone cheese today,I think, if I can get get myself motivated = Birthday + New Years Eve usually mean a foggy New Years Day for me LOL

Happy belated birthday to you.  When it is just me and the wife I will only cook a small butt and then what we don't eat will eat over the next day or two on bbq nachos/tacos or just left over bbq sandwiches.  Living in Alabama we don't have a very hard winter so throwing something on the smoker can be an all year thing.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #47 on: 01/01/17 19:22 UTC »
Thanks all.  I'm only batting 500 on the year older, year wiser deal though. LOL

My grill/smoker is on the porch so I'll fire it up no matter what the weather is. Rain, snow, hot, cold, windy, calm whatever ( except severe weather ) it doesn't matter to me. That grill/smoker is getting fired up ! LOL

I've not had a lot of luck with the smaller butts I have tried. I would think they would be easy enough to do and all but they never seem to turn out as good as the 4-6 pounders I usually do. Dunno

I bought some GOOD Provolone the other day and cold smoked that up this morning. I did slightly over a pound round cut in half. I cut my smoke time in half for one piece and let the other half go for another half hour just to see if there is any difference between the two. The one that was in the smoke longer does look a tad darker.

I forgot to get some cheese cloth though. Next time !!!!!

Offline Grizz12

• Kicker
« Reply #48 on: 02/05/17 19:33 UTC »
I have a good smoked egg recipe for you. My co-workers have said its like having bacon and eggs at one time, I get asked to bring them in several time a year. Well to get started hard boil your eggs, shell them and cold smoke them I usually smoke them for an hour moving them around once. Then I normally devil them, but left alone is good too. The really nice part is you don't need a fancy smoker, while I do have some i normally use one of my charcoal grills for this with hickory pellets in one of those a-maze-n tube.
I have smoked cheese with this too but I usually only smoke that an hour to an hour and a half, but I do love a heavy smoke thou.
"Anything that makes you giggle,smile,or laugh Buy It or Marry It!