Author Topic: New Product! CNC 6" Ripper  (Read 11961 times)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
New Product! CNC 6" Ripper
« on: 03/07/19 15:43 UTC »
6" Ripper for all you swimbait guys.  Enjoy!

Item#95328
$89.00

Live and on our website available for purchase at https://store.do-itmolds.com/ripper

6" Ripper from Do-It Molds on Vimeo.

« Last Edit: 03/07/19 15:45 UTC by Kyle »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: New Product! CNC 6" Ripper
« Reply #1 on: 03/07/19 17:12 UTC »
Let's see. I take a straight shaft wire with two number ten blades and a spinner body; put it in front of that six inch ripper and I got a $29.00 dollar musky / northern lure!!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/07/19 17:14 UTC »
OOO-oui, dat loo goot!

(Or however BKJ might say it.)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/07/19 19:20 UTC »
Holy Honker. How much plastic does that bad boy take?

And where's the 2 1/2" Ripper at now?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 03/07/19 22:47 UTC »
Need to get a couple of them. How about the other end of the spectrum /2.5”
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/08/19 05:39 UTC »
 Nice !!!!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/08/19 07:17 UTC »
Holy Honker. How much plastic does that bad boy take?

I actually thought about this in the opposite context, meaning I like the fact that it has a super sturdy body.

I can't count the number of 'skees I've taken on big plastic shad, but I will say it is one of my best lures for taking them (especially with high pressure).  The problem is these baits tend to have a single fish life simply because the tooth length on these bigger fish are longer than the plastic is thick and they cut completely through them... sure, I can take a lighter and melt them back together (which I have), but the action is always limited after these repairs. 

With the proven action of the ripper on a beefed-up body, I think this new king-sized plastic is going to do quite well in the combat zone.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/08/19 07:27 UTC »
Plus... this thicker body has more provision for foam, so I am already thinking of a floating/surface version of this, which would be essentially a weedless version of the Hawg Wobbler.

(Set one aside Brennan.)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/08/19 08:08 UTC »
efish....wouldn't adding some hardener to you plastic help against tooth tearing or would that impair the action?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/08/19 08:16 UTC »
It's definitely a big hunk of swimbait goodness.  Here is a photo for size reference.  That's an original 3.5" Ripper in the Redbug color 2nd from the left and the new 6" on the far right.

3", 3.5", 4", 6"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/08/19 09:02 UTC »
efish....wouldn't adding some hardener to you plastic help against tooth tearing or would that impair the action?

Doubtful (though I've not tried)... certainly hardener would change the action to some degree (which may or may not make a difference in presentation), but the caveat (IMO) is that it would not add an appreciable toughness/resilience so that the razor-mouths would have much less effect... I really think overall durability in said baits is going to be based on a ratio of tooth length to plastic thickness.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/08/19 09:10 UTC »
It's definitely a big hunk of swimbait goodness.  Here is a photo for size reference.  That's an original 3.5" Ripper in the Redbug color 2nd from the left and the new 6" on the far right.

:o  WOW, the side by side comparison really shows its size.   

Although we are months from the musky opener, I'm already starting to pant now...

(...Brennan!)

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 03/08/19 09:51 UTC »

When I first started out I used the hard formula or medium with some hardener for that reason Tom. I didnt notice anything on the action at the time but the baits were stiff. Once I switched I found out what action meant. I dont have toothy critters like a musky or pike down here but speckled trout have 2 "vampire" teeth top and bottom that is probably comparable. What I found when I switched to medium, than eventually ES is that the softer baits bend and fold better than the harder baits in the fishes mouth. So it can move away from the tear and the bait seems to pinch in my case. I have had fish cut them in half after 1 strike and I have caught 10 on 1 bait. But in my experience the harder bait ripped or tore more than medium plastic baits.
« Last Edit: 03/08/19 10:04 UTC by Slow Burn »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/08/19 10:52 UTC »
Softer baits have more action and I think they catch more fish. With that being said it is very expensive to buy baits (at a high cost) that only catch one fish.....But now we can make our own!!! Lower cost per bait and baits colored and rigged like we want!! This mold will sell!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 03/08/19 11:25 UTC »
I fish crappies and walleyes but catch the occasional muskie and northern while doing so. Bass I will fish while the crappies take care of spawning business and that's where I really find teeth in northerns and dogfish.

When the concern came up I was just curious if that was an option for ya'll. I use nothing but Essential and as a rule soften it and its plenty tough for the crappies and waldos. The other toothie incidental fish don't cause me to harden anything personally. I have some Crystal Clear firm formula that I use at times for tube bodies but that's about all I experience with firm or any other formula.

I think Gary is right....when we can make baits specific to our needs cheaper than buying them it matters not so much if they're a fish or two bait.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they