Author Topic: Stone Molds  (Read 2823 times)

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
Stone Molds
« on: 03/25/18 13:20 UTC »

I recently posted about spraying the stone molds with high temp engine paint,although I have had some success doing this I had 2 molds that the paint came off on the baits, the molds made. I haven't figured out exactly why 2 had a problem, for sure. I believe that it may be from the paint I was using being old. Probably the first 2, I shot wasn't mixed up enough, I really can't figure that out for sure. Since I have repainted the 2 molds that peeled, and now they are doing ok.
 I was on another forum, and a member said that he had good luck using the KBS diamond clear product. I sent him a private message to find out how many coats he applied to the molds. When I find out for sure, I will post what I find out.
 I have wondered if using epoxy might even work, I no that the heat may be a problem, but I would have thought that would be the same for the diamond clear.
 When I find out his reply, I will post my findings.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Stone Molds
« Reply #1 on: 03/25/18 13:26 UTC »
The stone may not afford the paint any adhesion like an aluminum mold will. That Diamond clear stuff is a different animal that paint.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/25/18 17:30 UTC »

Flippinstick Mike, is the mans name, and he got back with me, said he only applied 1 coat, to not take away any of the detail of the mold. I don't know how much he has shot the molds, but said so far so good.
 The epoxy is thicker, than this product, but if thinned down with denatured alcohol, I would think you could get it thin enough to not loose much detail, on the mold. I do not have the diamond clear product, but may give the epoxy a try.

Offline Fishfulthiking

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 03/26/18 18:26 UTC »
Back when I was making stone molds I had success with the epoxy and alcohol.  If you thin the epoxy out enough with the alcohol and paint it into the mold and then turn the mold upside down onto three of four nuts then the excess thinned epoxy will drain out and leave you with a very nice mold with good detail.  If you do not turn it upside down as it dries then the epoxy will pool into the bottom of the mold and affect your detail.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/26/18 19:01 UTC »
The fish can't see a difference in the baits so I leave my stone molds as they arrive. The molds I have made of the stone have such fine detail I don't want to give any of it up just so the baits have a tiny bit of gloss to them. Too much can go wrong if that area of fine detail has to be cleaned. A little bit of worm oil on a brush and the baits pop right out of the mold, that's all I need. Good luck.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/26/18 20:39 UTC »
 I know that it doesn't matter to the fish. I too used oil in my molds, and they popped out just fine, I said in one of my post that the fish didn't care. But when you have other people wanting your baits, and they want the shiny baits, over the dull ones, then you try to get them to look like they ask.
  They pop out of the molds just fine. I have been buying these molds since they first was introduced. Just trying a few things to see if they can be made to produce a shinier bait.
 The bass baits are not as small, and quite as detailed, as the crappie baits, I do not loose the detail.
« Last Edit: 03/26/18 20:49 UTC by brandx112679 »