Author Topic: Looking for hooks  (Read 1203 times)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
Looking for hooks
« on: 10/23/21 09:07 UTC »
Looking for some jig hooks with a short enough shank to work well on small panfish baits.  Say something along the lines of the 1.5 inch thumper paddle tail.  I was getting reay to order some #6 and #8 victory hooks but thought I would ask here first.  TIA
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Looking for hooks
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/21 09:33 UTC »
Hooks are a beast to find right now. Especially if you want a sickle variety of hook and really especially if you're looking at a 6 or 8, unless its that ugly red. I've done little nasty hooks for several years and really wanted to try the Victory sickles in a 6 but no such an animal exists. I did get some #6 plain Aberdeen Victories ands cast them up on the wire keeper heads in 1/32, 1/24 and 1/16 and those I use with the 1.5 Thump-It paddletail along with the Thumper Fry and a couple other 2" baits. These are really nice hooks and do a great job of hooking. Great bone penetration....I got a couple pound pike on one and getting the hook out of the jaw bone was a joke. Getting it into the bone was simple.

Check your pm's sarge
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline tacklebox07

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 10/24/21 08:05 UTC »
Barlows shows Victory sickles in black nickel 6, 8
https://barlowstackle.com/victory-11149bn-jig-hook-sizes-8-4-0/

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #3 on: 10/24/21 09:41 UTC »
I have 2000 size 2 Mustad sickles on back order and have been told they won't be available until mid November. They were ordered over a month ago.  I like the Victory hooks, but as said, they're not available either.

IF, the situation with China escalates, we'll really have some issues with tackle making as a lot of the supplies are made in China. All the silicone skirt materials and rubber skirt materials are made in China, or in Vietnam, and that might as well be China.

Of course if that happens, it may not matter anyway.  :(

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/24/21 20:56 UTC »
#6s are my go-to size for open water panfish jigs... #8s seem too small as a standard hook, but I will use #4s for crappie specific jigs.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/21 12:37 UTC »
I'm so glad I have a big stash of hooks!!!

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/21 22:40 UTC »
I have a good supply too, but unfortunately, not all that I need in types & sizes.

I generally use 2, 4 & 6 for anything for panfish, but will go up & down in size.

With my business, some folks want a specific style & size, and won't change.

It is what it is.