Author Topic: Mini float n fly's  (Read 1699 times)

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
Mini float n fly's
« on: 01/03/22 07:56 UTC »
 These are all that I have used the last few weeks in December. They are 1/48 chub heads that I make using duck feathers, flash and rabbit. I caught more crappie on these in December than the other 11 months combined. The biggest was this 17.5" Black Crappie, my new personal best.

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
Re: Mini float n fly's
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/22 07:58 UTC »

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/22 10:31 UTC »
Congratulations.  I have come close to the 17 inch mark 3 times with all of them coming in at 16.5.  Maybe this year will be the year. 
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/03/22 11:45 UTC »
Feather and hair jigs tend to get overlooked when plastic does so well. I still have some 1/64 heads with a thin addition of some feather fiber that makes them look similar to the old Flu-Flu jigs and are just as effective. I use these primarily to target sunfish but crappies will jump on them too. I like the flash tied into your jigs Jim.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/22 20:22 UTC »
Thats a giant, congrats! Love the jigs too!

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/22 20:52 UTC »
Nice work JUNGLEJIMJIGS! Excellent jigs, excellent results!
Haven't seen a buffalo nickel in awhile either.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #6 on: 01/04/22 10:48 UTC »
That's an awesome catch! I've only caught one in my life that big, and it was 18". I caught it on a big fly rod popper, made on a 2/0 size hook, and from a small private pond. Closest I've ever got since then was 13".

I love tying & fishing the small jigs. There's various materials that do a good job and catch plenty of fish, and I agree with ctom, they do often get over looked by many folks.

JUNGLEJIMJIGS, I know that you've been around a long time making the jigs, so this was bound to happen eventually! Congratulations on a new PB.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/04/22 11:44 UTC »
Now that's a chunk Jim! Nice catch.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/22 06:42 UTC »
 I caught this crappie at a city park lake 5 minutes from home. Lake used to have some nice white crappie but had a fish kill a year ago due to chlorine in the water. Was really shocked when I started to fish it again and started catching some really nice Black crappie, which survived and seem to be the dominant crappie species now. Perhaps they are more tolerant of chlorine since I have only caught 1 out of over 100 white crappie since I started fishing it again. Haven't seen another person fishing this lake all month and will try to keep it a secret as long as I can. Once word gets out they are in there the minnow dunkers will wipe them out. I released her so maybe catch her again in the spring, hopefully she makes some babies.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/25/22 17:51 UTC »
Nice as always Jim!!

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/25/22 21:36 UTC »
Very nice jim and those jigs look  good.  Where ya from?

Offline JUNGLEJIMJIGS

• Yearling
« Reply #11 on: 01/31/22 06:53 UTC »
 I live in Saint Louis, Missouri. I did catch an 18.5" white crappie over 20 years ago on a 1/64 jig. I released that one without pictures, no cell phone for me back then. Funny how black crappie were all I caught in December and January the majority have been white crappie.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/08/22 18:23 UTC »
Nice jigs as always