Author Topic: Not sure if this is the right place....  (Read 293 times)

Offline Hooked Outdoors

• Minnow
Not sure if this is the right place....
« on: 04/25/22 15:45 UTC »
....to ask this question... I've been pouring a couple years. I have a couple dozen open pour silicone molds of a worm, that I designed and whittled the master out of a piece of oak. I am trying to streamline my process. Biggest time consumer at this point is "quality" checking each worm. My hand is not always steady when pouring. I wind up with boogers here and there hanging off the worms. I am interested in having injection molds made off of my master. I know it will probably be pricey, but probably worth it in time saved in the long run. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in Advance! Mark...

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Not sure if this is the right place....
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/22 16:38 UTC »
I can't help with your mold problem but I can offer you a welcome to the Do-It Mold forums. There may be some on board here that can steer you. RTV silicone isn't all that tough to work with and that might be an option for you since you created your own mold from wood. Just a thought.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/26/22 04:02 UTC »

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 04/26/22 04:08 UTC »
I can't help with your mold problem but I can offer you a welcome to the Do-It Mold forums. There may be some on board here that can steer you. RTV silicone isn't all that tough to work with and that might be an option for you since you created your own mold from wood. Just a thought.

Looks like he already uses silicone molds..  Not wood.  Says the master was carved from wood.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 04/26/22 05:48 UTC »
I have read good things about Bug Molds. However being they’re located in Ukraine…not sure they are taking new orders but you could check. Believe it or not, a custom mold I had ordered in January just landed in NY yesterday. Fingers crossed the USPS doesn’t misplace another one of my packages. You might be hard pressed getting a mold cut right now due to high demand and supply chain issues. I know the price of aluminum just went up the first of the year too. You might contact cncmolds.com or fatguysfishing.com to see if they are doing custom molds at present.

For quicker results have you tried making your own two piece injection mold from silicone?  Being that you have a wood master a bit of wood carving on a 5/8”-3/4” dowel tacked to your master, a mold box or LEGOS, some clay and silicone could get you a useable injection mold. You just can’t shoot with a lot of pressure.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/26/22 06:15 UTC »
Looks like he already uses silicone molds..  Not wood.  Says the master was carved from wood.

Mis-read his opener. My bad. Welcome still stands.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Hooked Outdoors

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 04/26/22 07:48 UTC »
I have read good things about Bug Molds. However being they’re located in Ukraine…not sure they are taking new orders but you could check. Believe it or not, a custom mold I had ordered in January just landed in NY yesterday. Fingers crossed the USPS doesn’t misplace another one of my packages. You might be hard pressed getting a mold cut right now due to high demand and supply chain issues. I know the price of aluminum just went up the first of the year too. You might contact cncmolds.com or fatguysfishing.com to see if they are doing custom molds at present.

For quicker results have you tried making your own two piece injection mold from silicone?  Being that you have a wood master a bit of wood carving on a 5/8”-3/4” dowel tacked to your master, a mold box or LEGOS, some clay and silicone could get you a useable injection mold. You just can’t shoot with a lot of pressure.

I am actually looking at like a 6 cavity mold. I could do it with plaster, but I only have one master. My experience with mold making is very limited. Never thought about using silicone for injection, is it still 2 piece?
I guess I could have 6 individual molds each with it's own sprue? Like I said, pardon my ignorance on injection, I'm mostly open pour. I do have a couple of injection bug molds, but haven't used them much.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 04/26/22 12:43 UTC »
If that is a picture of the bait you’re wanting to clean up you might not even need to inject it. You might be able to get by with a silicone two piece top pour mold (hand pour from the nose/spur). And yes I would just do several individual molds. If your master has a flat side you might make a two piece mold that looks kind of like the wave worm mold where one side of the mold was just flat.

Offline Hooked Outdoors

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 04/27/22 11:34 UTC »
Cool! Thanks for the info.