Author Topic: Fly Tying Vice  (Read 5426 times)

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
Fly Tying Vice
« on: 01/12/13 12:38 UTC »
What would be a good choice for a fly tying vice for a beginner? I know quality comes with more money, but I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.
Thanks,
Josh

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Fly Tying Vice
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/13 18:41 UTC »
Hey Josh...I haven't purchased any vises in quite some time, but there are a number of vises available for less than $100.  I'd suggest you get a rotary type vise.  That's where you can turn the fly over while it is still clamped in the vise.  Regal would be a good choice, but a little more costly than others.

If you've got money to burn, I'd suggest what's called a "true rotary" vise.  That's a type vise where the hook shank rotates on it's own axis.  Renzetti, Abel, and Dyna King are all good names.  ( A friend once told me that the Abel was featured in The Sound Of Music.   "Huh" says I.  And he starts singing "Abelvise, Abelvise".  I hope you're old enough to remember The Sound Of Music otherwise this won't make any sense to you at all.)

In my opinion, a really cool vise is the Nor-Vise.  I use it for both large and small flies.  Google it  I'm sure there's a video on it.

Like I said, I haven't been in the vice buying market for a long time.  You might want to try EBay or Craig's List for some deals.  Good fly shops will have a variety of vises, but you'll pay top dollar for them. 

If all else fails, clamp your hook in a pair of vise grips and clamp the vice grips on your bench top vise.  Been there, done that.

Hope this helps.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/13 23:29 UTC »
Josh,

I started with this vise:

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=425

after I learned the basics I moved up to an inexpensive Regal kit that came with extra tools etc.  Now I tie on a Griffin vise and I really appreciate the extras.

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

as a beginner, I would look for simplicity and work your self into something that fits you're style, but stay in your budget... after all, the thing is really only designed to hold a hook still while you tie some feathers to it... right?   ;)
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/13/13 07:55 UTC »
Hey Jerry, where did you get the regal kit? Is it the one on do-it mold's site?

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #4 on: 01/13/13 09:38 UTC »
It wasn't that exact kit but very, very similar. 

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/13 10:01 UTC »
How is the vice in that kit? Are there any problems with it? Has anyone used one like this http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-Tying-Tool-With/dp/B0051WGFH4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/13/13 10:05 UTC »
I gotta agree with the Regal. Yeah it's a bit pricey for a beginner, but you may never need another vise. They're tough as nails. I've been using(abusing) ;D mine since 1994 and it still works great. I did just recently buy a Renzetti and I'm truly impressed with it, but I honestly didn't need to replace the Regal. I was actually looking at the Peak rotary vise at the time,and was also impressedwith it.Seems like a very good mid-priced vise. Around 150.00 at Cabela's. I think the Regal was a little more than that.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #7 on: 01/13/13 13:59 UTC »
How is the vice in that kit? Are there any problems with it? Has anyone used one like this http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Anglers-Tying-Tool-With/dp/B0051WGFH4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the vise in the Do-It kit.  I've used it a few times.  The kit at the link you shared looks to be a pretty good deal to start with.  Having the extra tools and a case to keep it in or travel with is a very good thing.