Author Topic: Hook Color  (Read 1246 times)

Offline DF

• Lunker
Hook Color
« on: 02/17/20 08:37 UTC »
 Maybe a dumb question, any difference in a bronze, gold, or black nickle hooks of the same style other than color?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Hook Color
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/20 09:00 UTC »
I can't really weigh in on this since I don't much fish bass but in my crappie/panfish and walleye fishing I will say I have seen zero evidence that red hooks will get more hits but that they do tend to be more brittle and are a waste if trying to straighten a bent hook. Gold hooks I feel are not as easily bent back too, but then a lot of gold hooks are the understory for red ones.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/17/20 12:29 UTC »
Thanks ctom, I guess a better way to ask, is there a reason to choose one color over the other besides looks?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/17/20 14:17 UTC »
Thanks ctom, I guess a better way to ask, is there a reason to choose one color over the other besides looks?

As far a strength I've never noticed anything. I've always bought black hooks and I guess it's because that's what I've always bought. I have used red hooks in some walleye jigs in the past and other then color I didn't see anything different.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/17/20 14:54 UTC »

I use all black nickel hooks if possible. They're generally way sharper out of the box than bronze or red, or gold. 

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/20 19:03 UTC »
In the EC 575 variety, the bronze hook will deform with pressure (a plus for pulling out of snags) where as the gold one tends not to bend and will ultimately break under pressure... I'm not sure if the temper has to do with the application of finish or if the finish is simply indicative of the temper.  In the bass jig selections, black nickel hooks are much the same as gold, having a temper that allows less bending (and ultimately breaks) whereas the bronze hooks will deform as with the thinner wire version(s).

Other than mold specific hooks, like the 28o for the poison tail, I generally gravitate towards the bronze hooks simply because of the nasty cover I fish.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/20 20:37 UTC »
I use all black nickel hooks if possible. They're generally way sharper out of the box than bronze or red, or gold.

Me too.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY
« Reply #7 on: 02/17/20 23:40 UTC »
I use black nickel hooks for their corrosion resistance.
I have thousands of hooks and many, many variations.
The only hooks that I have that aren't black are some Owner Wacky hooks that are "camo green".  How well their green finish holds up to teeth and corrosion has yet to be seen.

Aside from the few green Owners, 100% of my hooks are black nickel.

Bronze, gold, red and any variant of silver are not for me 😁
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY  👈😎

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 02/18/20 00:13 UTC »
I’ve had a batch of 1,000 red hook that were soft but didn’t affect the ability of catching fish. I’ve been using black ones lately.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/18/20 07:22 UTC »
  My fishing buddy that I tournament fish with only buys Mustad hooks because he can get them cheaper. I spend a little more money and get Gamakatsu because I think they're better. They have a little bit smaller barb and I think penetrate better. He'll buy bronze or black or what ever is cheaper and I only buy black. To be honest as a rule he'll out fish me. So I truly don't think it has anything to do with the hook. And color is just something the manufacture adds to the hook to catch fisherman and not fish. This is my experience in bass fishing. Not crappie fishing. That's for sissy's.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/18/20 07:40 UTC »
He'll buy bronze or black or what ever is cheaper and I only buy black. To be honest as a rule he'll out fish me..... This is my experience in bass fishing. Not crappie fishing. That's for sissy's.

A little off topic but some of that out east rumor mill has it that little old ladies out fish you as do crappie anglers too.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/18/20 10:15 UTC »
  Fishing can be very humbling !

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/18/20 11:00 UTC »
lol.....no doubt.