Author Topic: Must Have Molds?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline DF

• Lunker
Must Have Molds?
« on: 02/23/20 11:12 UTC »
 What do you guys consider must have molds for bass fishing?  I'm still fairly new to casting lead, what should a beginner have in their arsenal.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Must Have Molds?
« Reply #2 on: 02/23/20 15:52 UTC »
My most used bass jig mold, by far, is:
https://store.do-itmolds.com/Arky-Style-JigbrSz-14-38-12brHk-32798brCollar-Double-Holder_p_933.html  with the horizontal eye.

It's the "do-all" of bass jigs and by adding a split ring it makes a darn good bladed swimbait! ( aka "Chatterbait"..but that is trademarked)

You can cast it, swim it, flip it,  and bounce it off the bottom. I probably catch 75% of my bass as the jig falls on the cast.

I would agree with the WW's list also.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 02/23/20 16:03 UTC »
Andy I haven’t tried that one but might have too. 8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/23/20 21:28 UTC »
If I could only choose one - poison tail (it can do it all... though some others are more specialized);

If two - arky and casting (better choices for specifically flipping and swimming);

If three - arky, casting, and shake-it;

Four - three above and poison tail (now used primarily as wacky jig)

Five - four above and weighted hook (for jerk baits and swim baits)

Six - five above and another plastic mold  ;D

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/20 06:17 UTC »
 I'd say top three would be the arky jig ( like Andrew said you can make other baits with it ) Then I'd go with the shaky head round mold and then the spinnerbait. Who doesn't fish a spinnerbait ? But DF it's just like plastics you're going to just keep buying them. And once you have the melting pot the molds are cheap compared to what you buy a pack of lead heads at the store for.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/20 09:12 UTC »
Who doesn't fish a spinnerbait ?

Right!?!?!?... I was totally one-tracking on jigs because I fish them so much, but the banana spinner actually would be second on my list (especially because it can be modified into a buzz bait as well)... and as Lamar said, you'll get others, so I would put the buzz-keel on the list too (based on your preference for topwater fishing) because its design makes the absolute best tracking and planing buzz baits available, barring none.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/24/20 11:07 UTC »
I make a lot of my bladed baits from "spinnerbaits". I use the lightest wire I can so that I can get a nice wrap where it is attached to the blade.
« Last Edit: 02/24/20 11:10 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/25/20 05:57 UTC »
I make a lot of my bladed baits from "spinnerbaits". I use the lightest wire I can so that I can get a nice wrap where it is attached to the blade.

That's the same mold I have. I make spinnerbaits, buzz baits and chatterbaits all out of the same mold.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/25/20 07:44 UTC »
I made a few buzz baits from the mold this winter also! Can't wait until ice out to see how they work.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/25/20 15:24 UTC »
 Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

Andrew, that's an awesome looking bait!