Author Topic: Hard to Find Jig Head  (Read 759 times)

Offline LB243

• Minnow
Hard to Find Jig Head
« on: 02/02/21 19:37 UTC »
I am looking for some jig heads 1/16 and 1/8 oz with 90 degree bn hook in 1/0 and 2/0.  A plain round head would be fine but I am not real particular on style.  Does anyone have any for sell or know where I could find some?  Thanks

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Hard to Find Jig Head
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/21 19:41 UTC »
Hello LB243-

Are you looking for light wire or heavy wire hooks, and should they be saltwater friendly?

Offline LB243

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/21 20:38 UTC »
Light wire and do not have to be salt water friendly, just strong.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/21 03:56 UTC »
Light wire and do not have to be salt water friendly, just strong.

Light wire, But strong?  You might look into a steelhead hook/mold.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/21 08:24 UTC »
I'm thinking the Poison Tail in 1/8oz will be what you are looking for with a 1/0 EWG hook... take a look at this link and see what you think.
https://store.do-itmolds.com/Poison-Tail-JigbrSz-18-14-38brHk-91768brCollar-Disc-amp-Holder_p_982.html

Those of us that have it love these jigs.

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/21 09:37 UTC »
Poisontail jig is one of my favorites for sure
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/21 10:16 UTC »
Light wire, But strong?  You might look into a steelhead hook/mold.
Yep I have and use this mold just for the strong hooks.
Might not be able to squeeze the bigger hook in the smaller jig though.

Offline LB243

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 02/03/21 14:57 UTC »
Thanks for the suggestion but the Poison jig does not appear to have a 90 degree hook.  The 90 degree hook is essential to how this particular rig is fished.  I do not make lead baits myself, I was trying to find someone who I could buy some from with these configurations.  I know it is a little odd but I was trying to make some for a guy in town that made the classic this year and it is a bait that I have made with off the shelf heads that are not exactly what I wanted but what I could get.  I called Do-It and asked them if they knew someone who might make what I wanted but they sent me here.  I hope this explains my situation a little more.  Thanks for the ideas though, I really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: 02/03/21 15:28 UTC by LB243 »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/03/21 16:46 UTC »
Thanks for the suggestion but the Poison jig does not appear to have a 90 degree hook.  The 90 degree hook is essential to how this particular rig is fished.  I do not make lead baits myself, I was trying to find someone who I could buy some from with these configurations.  I know it is a little odd but I was trying to make some for a guy in town that made the classic this year and it is a bait that I have made with off the shelf heads that are not exactly what I wanted but what I could get.  I called Do-It and asked them if they knew someone who might make what I wanted but they sent me here.  I hope this explains my situation a little more.  Thanks for the ideas though, I really appreciate it!

OK, that helps a little...

I'm guessing you are looking for something to have a horizontal presentation, is that correct?
(Not all jigs with 90 degree hooks have a horizontal balance.)

Also, since this thread is under the 'Bass Jigs' category, are you looking for these jig heads to have weed guards?
(If not, could a modified walleye or shakey jig satisfy what you are looking for?)

Offline LB243

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 02/03/21 17:02 UTC »
Yes you are exactly correct on the horizontal presentation and no weed guard is wanted at this point.  As for the modified options, quite possibly might work.  I basically need a crappie jig head with a bigger, stronger hook.  Or something similar as the actual head design doesn't matter to me if it will hang reasonably horizontal.

Online MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/03/21 20:52 UTC »

Here's a picture of the Model #: STL-8S-A steel head jig mold. Hook (32833) on left is a 2/0 over the 1/8 oz mold and the hook on the right is a 1/0 over the 1/16 oz. Looks like the mold could be modified fairly easily to use either hook. These are extremely strong hooks! Have caught Trout up to 20 pounds on them and not damaged a hook yet!

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/04/21 04:13 UTC »
If he don't mind modifying a mold, There are plenty of other mold choices as well.

https://store.do-itmolds.com/All-Jig-Molds_c_222.html?viewall=1

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/21 07:14 UTC »
I make 1/16oz and 1/8oz ball head jigs with 2/0 and 3/0 hooks. I like the VMC 9147, Eagle Claw 3052, and the Owner 5318 hook for those type jigs. I make them for 3" to 4" finesse style swimbaits.  I can also do those in a 1/0 as well but if you need a mold I can help with that as well.  The model is RHB-6-1816  https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Round-Head-Jig-Molds-Barb-Collar--P194/  .  The mold has 6 cavities, 3 in 1/16oz and 3 in 1/8oz and is designed to take a 2/0 or 3/0 hook in both sizes.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/05/21 07:38 UTC »
Hey LB243-

It sounds like smalljaw is already in production of the specific jig heads you are looking for (which he makes for your exact purpose)... and a review of smalljaw's work on this site or YouTube will show his commitment to quality, so I would say you found what you are looking for.