Author Topic: Fire craw chatterbait  (Read 2241 times)

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Fire craw chatterbait
« on: 03/01/21 14:39 UTC »
If you live in the southeast then it comes as no surprise to you that fire craw chatterbaits are near impossible to find. So, what is a man to do? Make his own of course! 3/8oz arky head on a 4/0 hook with a 3mm split ring to blade and wire tied skirt. Half tab black and half tab red for the top and either straight orange or 50/50 orange and orange crush for the bottom. Airbrushed the heads and then cleared them in KBS. That is an Angling AI 4” open pour for a trailer on the middle bait.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Fire craw chatterbait
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/21 14:44 UTC »
WOW... those got some "eye-pow"!

Offline alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/21 15:16 UTC »
Outstanding and gorgeous!!!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 03/01/21 15:18 UTC »
Sweet chatter bait and great dirty water color.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/01/21 15:27 UTC »
I need to learn to hand tie my skirts. Very professional looking

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/01/21 15:37 UTC »
I need to learn to hand tie my skirts. Very professional looking

It is very easy to do.  I get wire from hobby lobby and cut about a 3" section of wire to work with.  The thinner the wire the easier it is to work with, especially if you're tying skirts without a vice like me.  I lay my wire on the table, lay my bottom layers on the wire, then my head, then my top layers.  Bend the wire up and over the top of the jig neck and back to the back side and twist the wires together until very tight (if you tighten too much they will break) and then snip them fairly close to the neck of the jig.  Bend the remaining twisted wire down flat against the neck of the jig and you're good to go.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/21 16:01 UTC »
  Last years classic sure did make those popular. I went out during that and bought some red skirt material. Noticed later it was all gone. I have to say I did catch fish on it in the spring.

Offline alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/21 17:36 UTC »
It is very easy to do.  I get wire from hobby lobby and cut about a 3" section of wire to work with.  The thinner the wire the easier it is to work with, especially if you're tying skirts without a vice like me.  I lay my wire on the table, lay my bottom layers on the wire, then my head, then my top layers.  Bend the wire up and over the top of the jig neck and back to the back side and twist the wires together until very tight (if you tighten too much they will break) and then snip them fairly close to the neck of the jig.  Bend the remaining twisted wire down flat against the neck of the jig and you're good to go.

Very informative!  I have some 24 gauge wire in my shop.  Hopefully this will work and won't be too thin.  Thanks brother!

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/02/21 06:52 UTC »
Those will get bit.  ;)

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/02/21 08:34 UTC »
Very informative!  I have some 24 gauge wire in my shop.  Hopefully this will work and won't be too thin.  Thanks brother!

Fairly certain these have 24 gauge wire on them.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/02/21 08:35 UTC »
  Last years classic sure did make those popular. I went out during that and bought some red skirt material. Noticed later it was all gone. I have to say I did catch fish on it in the spring.

If you live within 100 miles of the TVA river system they're impossible to find and people will pay stupid money for a jackhammer chatterbait in firecraw.

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/21 19:07 UTC »
Nice looking baits.

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/21 19:30 UTC »
Those look awesome man. I made some not to long ago on my YouTube channel. They were swim jigs   https://youtu.be/nxeVAu8UJBg
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy