Author Topic: Bismuth (Bi) Jig  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
Bismuth (Bi) Jig
« on: 03/20/21 07:07 UTC »

Dear All, the European Community (I’m Italian) is going to edit a Regulation to forbid the use of lead in fishing tackles, “within several options thinked by Agency (Echa) to prevent negative effects about human health and environment, for the fishing there is the will to forbid the sell and use of sinkers and artificial baits with lead”.

While the Commercial Field is already orienteering itself to Tungsten (W), We, poor Self Makers, hardly can reach the 3422 °C (6191,6 °F) to cast it.

Then, what to do? It’s necessary to find a “green” alternative. For Bullet Sinkers, I’ve already used a brass bar, cutting, drilling and turning the little cylinders … a real PITA.

There is the Tin (Sn), but its specific weight is 7,28 kg/dm3, while the Lead (Pb) one is 11,34 kg/dm3, i.e. 35% less.

I started studying (using the American Sites … of course) and … an alternative to Lead does exist and it’s calle Bismuth (Bi).
It has got a specific weight of di 9,80 kg/dm3, i.e. the 13% less compared to Pb … we can be satisfied, our Jigs with the same volume obtained with the same mold, will weigh a little bit less, that is around the 13% less, for instance the classic ¼ oz., equal to 7 g, will be “only” 6,09 g.

Furthermore the Bismuth melts a lot of  earlier than Lead: 271,3 °C Vs. 327 °C … and our waiting moments are shorted.

The Bi is absolutely the most diamagnetic metal … but I think that no one of us is interested in leavening of a Jig between two magnets.

Bi is brittle and some of You, already obliged by Laws of some American States, mix it with Tin, trying to obtain a stronger Jig. I’ve already performed a test wit a 3/8 oz Round Jig, obtained with pure Bi, dropping it from a height of 2 m over marble: nothing happens, it didn’t bumped itself, nor scratched, nor cracked. Vice versa the thin casting shaves, created when I use wrong hooks, are easily detachable, as the casting spur.

The Bi, unique within Heavy Metals, isn’t toxic … however the mask, when you cast it, must be always worn.

Please, let see nest post.

« Last Edit: 03/20/21 07:11 UTC by Cami »

Offline Cami

• Keeper
Re: Bismuth (Bi) Jig
« Reply #1 on: 03/20/21 07:16 UTC »
Finally a “colored” note – The Bi, just melted in a mold, appears with a beautiful silver, not grey as Pb, but you will be astonished by the color of casting spur after its room cooling: iridescent, with color tones from pink, to gold, blue and it’s also possible to see green and purple. It’s a surface oxidation process that is possible to obtain also over the casted Jig by the utilization a gas torch (the Air Heating Gun doesn’t work): quick passages of the flame over the surface, a continuous rotating of the bait, approach and move away the fire, to stop ourselves before to reach the melting point are operations must be done to obtain such iridescent surfaces.

Please, let see next post
« Last Edit: 03/20/21 07:20 UTC by Cami »

Offline Cami

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 03/20/21 07:30 UTC »

Unique cons, for those get used to plasticize their own Jigs with heating powder colors, unfortunately this process isn’t adoptable for the low melting point of Bi-

Bye
Cami

Offline alwrenn

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/20/21 10:22 UTC »
Thanks Cami.  This is good information.  I do like the "color shift" effect..

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/20/21 11:22 UTC »
Maybe too much heat. Lead will color up if its cast too hot.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 03/20/21 11:29 UTC »
Good info used only a couple times I’ve found it to be hard and if you don’t use mold release it’s harder to get the Jig out of the mold.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Cami

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 03/20/21 14:23 UTC »
Good info used only a couple times I’ve found it to be hard and if you don’t use mold release it’s harder to get the Jig out of the mold.
Hi WW, for these jig shapes i didn't need any mold release.

Thank you all for kind words.
Bye

Cami

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/20/21 14:24 UTC »
Thanks Cami! Never know when the turn to ban lead will happen across our states. This is good information to have on hand.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/22/21 17:20 UTC »
Roto Metals sells a Tin Bismuth alloy for substitute of Lead. Here’s what they say about it. Will include link also.

Our environmentally friendly Bismuth-Tin alloy is becoming a popular alternative to lead for fish and other weights. The alloy is 58% Bismuth and 42% Tin. It is easy to melt at 281 F and has 75% weight density of lead (0.3158 pounds cubic inch). One ingot weighs approximately 1 pound.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free-fishing-tackle-weight-bismuth-tin-alloy-281/