Author Topic: Candy colors  (Read 8288 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Candy colors
« on: 12/11/13 15:10 UTC »
Here are a few examples of Do-It's line up of candy colors in the powder paint. These are all applied over a bare lead head. I have every color of Candy color now, these were the last to be ordered. I really like transparent head colors when possible. The transparency gives the coat a bunch of depth that can't be gotten using opaque or solid colors. I feel that if I can distinguish depth while looking at the jig fish can do like-wise and the head seems more life-like.

Those on the left are applied straight up while the ones on the right are doctored a bit. The jig size is 1/16.

The Blue has emerald green and silver micro glitter blended in.
The Yellow below the blue has gold micro glitter mixed into it.
Third down is the Lime Green with silver and emerald green micro glitter in it.
Last is the Candy Orange with red and gold micro glitter mix in.

The micro glitter is found in the catalog on the same page as the vinyl jig paints and comes in 1 ounce bottles. Just a little of this glitter goes a loooong way and its easy to over-dose the paints. The colors shown with the glitter need a tiny shot more in each instance but if you look carful you'll see it in each example. The sun's angle right now sort of bit me in the butt on the picture and getting things toned down is hard given the lighting. I may try an indoor shot later on tonight to see if the glitter does a better job of popping. I'll also be making some adjustment to the amount of glitter in each paint mix.

For mixing less than a whole bottle of paint, I run down to my handy dandy bait shop and pick up small plastic containers that he uses for wax worms by the dozen. The covers snap on keeping the contents inside very nicely. No muss, no fuss. Sharpies mark the color on the lid for easy ID'ing.

For those who haven't tried the Candy Colors, you should. They are a snap to work with and can be manipulated with glitter as shown here and/or hi lite powder from your plastic stash. Before using, give them a quick spray of the uv top coat and then hold on.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
Re: Candy colors
« Reply #1 on: 01/15/14 18:17 UTC »
As usual CTOM, great post, and great looking work. I for one really enjoy your posts, as I learn something from every one of them. Thank you so much. But I am A little unclear on the subject of this clear paint. Are you mixing it in with the paint or doing it after the paint is applied. And are you using powder clear or liquid? If powder clear, and powder paints, and mixing the two, what ratio of powder to paint. I apoligize for all the ? but am fairly new to this... Thank you ahead of time. Eric

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/15/14 22:54 UTC »
The candy colors are a transparent powder paint.  The fact that they're transparent allows the base material to shine through, either bare lead making them metallic looking or a base powder coat giving them a different look.  It also makes blending in glitter a wonderful option as the glitter is highly visible.  Tom is a master at mixing these colors up with glitter, hilites etc.

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 01/16/14 00:30 UTC »
   Thank you for the reply. Yes I must whole heartedly agree that He is a master at this craft. Whether mixing colors for plastic or the powder paints for the jigs, his talent shines through...Eric

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/16/14 07:33 UTC »
Eep....Mixing transparent colors has given me the best results and the best way to blend them is to start with the lighter of the colors and slowly add darker until you find what you are looking for.  You'll need to coat a couple heads along the way to determine the actual colors because in the powder form the paints are a poor way to see the end color. Once you have the color you wan slowly add your other components like glitter. If you add more than one glitter color, add them equally. Hi lite is just like in plastic. Use very small amounts at each step so the effects they create do not get away from you....a little goes a loooong ways in paint.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 01/16/14 18:17 UTC »
    Ok, and thanks for the reply. I am brand new to all this, so please bear with me for not always following. I get to add the powders a bit at a time, and use a jig to test them along the way. How ever on the Hi-lites you lost me. Are the hi-lites a powder, or liquid, or both. I know liquid and powder makes a past, and desirable for the jigs, so I am guessing they are a powder. You mix this, a bit at a time once you reach the color you want. Am I getting it so far? If not Please get me on the right path.    Another question is, On the smaller size jig heads, 1/32, 1/24th, 1/16th) will not the lead melt when you bake them , I've read on a couple of forums, at 350 Deg., for 15 minutes, to set the powder? Please help.... Don't want to find bare hooks on the rack and my painted lead in a mass at the bottom of the oven. That sort of ruins your day.... Thank you for the help....Eric

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/16/14 21:38 UTC »
The hi lite is a powder and you can use it in your raw plastic, powder paint and in liquid paints. Its very flexible in its use. Look for it in the plastics section of the Do-It Store thru the link above that says "store".
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 01/17/14 04:10 UTC »
     Ok, Thank you Tom. Like I said, I'm new to this and don't want to waist funds unnecessarily, Yet have a product that looks good and catches fish. Yes, I realize there is a learning curve to this, the same as everything else, How ever, The more I get straight in my mind ahead of time, the less of a curve it should be. Your posts on here, and an other site I'm a member of, have lessened that curve tremendously, and for that I am thankful. Your work shows you care about what you do, and are works of art. Maybe one day, I'll get to be 10th of that. Once I get started. At the rate I'm healing, it will be around April 1st and my first order will go in....that being said, I have plenty of time to read, and reread all the info all of you have been so gracious to put on here. Thank you very much for your time and patience . Eric.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/17/14 05:53 UTC »
Its not me E. Its the products I choose to work with.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
« Reply #9 on: 01/17/14 12:21 UTC »
    While the products maybe of very good quality, Which I do not doubt, It takes a masters hands to use them well, and this Sir you do do so well. I always enjoy your posts. The information that is shared is just outstanding, and the plastics are just fantastic works of art. As always, thank you for sharing them with all of us learning. It's an inspiration to see these, and gives those of us just starting the vision of what can be accomplished if we apply ourselves to do the best we can and not quit if at first things are not just so. the use of Hi-lights to tweek the colors, of the use of UV powder, the list of, and the wealth of information that not just you, but several others on here share....I've been reading every day for better than three weeks, and don't think I have scratched the surface of it all...It's almost too much to comprehend. But I am still at it, and will continue to stay at. I learn more and more every day. For all of this, I applaud you, and everyone else on here for what you do. thank you all so much. Eric.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/17/14 16:29 UTC »
And I applaud you and all of the others for persevering. If you don't stick with it, if you don't try....then you'll truly never know.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #11 on: 01/17/14 17:23 UTC »
And I applaud you and all of the others for persevering. If you don't stick with it, if you don't try....then you'll truly never know.

Dang it Tom.... that's exactly what I was gonna say.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 01/18/14 10:56 UTC »
I like the look of those. I do use some candy colors on my jigs.
One thing I do when I powder paint my jigs is to use forceps to grip the jigs. I grip the jigs by the hook eye and then dip in my fluid bed. This keeps the powder paint out of the hook eyes and they are much more user friendly when it comes time to tie them on.
Some jigs are much easier to dip using the curved forceps. I believe the forceps only cost me 1$ or 2$ from a local tackle store.
I just hate having to clean the paint from hook eyes especially smaller ones.
I do have to clean the forceps every few jigs but I would much rather clean my forceps than clean out a painted over jig eye.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/18/14 11:33 UTC »
I have a nifty eye cleaner that makes opening up closed eyes a snap.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 01/18/14 13:31 UTC »
I have a nifty eye cleaner that makes opening up closed eyes a snap.

I have tried a few different eye cleaners and found keeping the eyes clean to start with worked best for me.
Many of the eye cleaners chipped the paint when cleaning the eyes.
Using the forceps works so much better for me that it is the only way I will do them now.
Use whatever works best for you.