Author Topic: DIY Powder Paint  (Read 10886 times)

Offline chainz

• Keeper
DIY Powder Paint
« on: 02/17/16 18:40 UTC »
How would powder paint that you can make yourself be any different from the pro-tec stuff? Would it work when painting jig heads and putting a epoxy coat on top? Here is the video I found on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgzRafKvpqI

Dan

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: DIY Powder Paint
« Reply #1 on: 02/17/16 18:50 UTC »
I'll just use the jarred product. I think that the video was "sanitized" so the mess wasn't shown. I don't know of anyone who calls this stuff a hobby would be making that much of one color to paint a few jigs.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline chainz

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 02/17/16 18:55 UTC »
Definitely wouldn't need that amount but with that I could make every different colour instead of paying 10 bucks for 1 jar of the stuff.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/17/16 19:31 UTC »
Powder coat goes a looooooong way. And he's got way more than ten bucks tied up there. I wouldn't want the mess.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline chainz

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 02/17/16 19:35 UTC »
Food dye and that is only like a dollar or 2. I might give it a go see what happens otherwise I'll have to shell out 10 bucks per colour

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/16 19:57 UTC »
Chains, buy your powder by the pound from Columbia coatings. Good powder paint. Suhre or sell what you don't use. Go in with a fellow bait maker, cuts the price down.

Columbiacoatings.com

Offline chainz

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/16 20:30 UTC »
It's expensive buying paint from anywhere outside australia...it's actually expensive buying alot of stuff I need for lure making as the dollar sucks lol!

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/18/16 07:48 UTC »
How would powder paint that you can make yourself be any different from the pro-tec stuff? Would it work when painting jig heads and putting a epoxy coat on top? Here is the video I found on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgzRafKvpqI

Dan

That's not powder paint.

You're going to be in for a HUGE surprise if you try and use CORNSTARCH to for painting lead lures.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/18/16 07:52 UTC »
It may work but not used as a true powder paint where you heat your jig before dipping it into the powder paint. I would think wetting your jig then dipping it in the home made powder would color the jig. Trouble there is I think your colors would be a candy color = transparent. Maybe if you used the color over a jighead that was powder painted white may get you a more solid color if that's what you are looking for ? I'm also not too sure what kind of coverage using the colored powder would be. I am thinking it would be hard to end up with a uniform coat of color ? Dunno.

A friend of mine who lives in Sweden turned me onto what they call Color Powder. They mix it with epoxy and add beads ( colored epoxy before it sets up )  of colored epoxy to hooks to make what they call colored hooks for Perch fishing. I experimented with it myself and the pic below is what I came up with. It was a tedious process to say the least.

I can't see how using the colored epoxy helps you with wanting to paint jig heads but it shows one way a guy can use colored powder for a different fishing related application.

I don't know what is in the colored powder that my friend from Sweden sent me ( I can't read or speak Swedish lol ) but it does come in small multi colored kits that are ( I'm guessing ) readily available commercially in Europe or at least in Sweden anyway. If you really want to give this colored powder a go you may wish to track one of these kits down just to experiment with. If not, then I would try making a batch of your own and see how it goes. I have an Australian buddy that I help get things from the states much cheaper than he can so I understand why you want to pursue alternative ways making your own stuff = things are really expensive down under.   

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/18/16 07:54 UTC »
That's not powder paint.

You're going to be in for a HUGE surprise if you try and use CORNSTARCH to for painting lead lures.

I'm agreeing with Cannibul.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline chainz

• Keeper
« Reply #10 on: 02/19/16 00:51 UTC »
Thanks for the reply guys. Hey 2XL with the usd at 70c for 1 aussie dollar things work out real expensive.. But I have to order from overseas if I want do it colourant..

Maybe it will work out cheaper to get a airbrush and paint my jigs that way. 12 createx colours here are 60 bucks or I can buy them separately.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 02/19/16 14:25 UTC »
Takes a lot more time and a lot of paint to airbrush jigs.

A pound of powder goes a long ways.  If you're going to airbrush them then use white powder paint as the base.

Offline chainz

• Keeper
« Reply #12 on: 02/19/16 22:33 UTC »
With powder being 10 bucks for 1 colour, I can get createx paint for 4 bucks. The price difference is starting to sway me toward airbrush and paint

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/20/16 07:33 UTC »
With powder being 10 bucks for 1 colour, I can get createx paint for 4 bucks. The price difference is starting to sway me toward airbrush and paint

I airbrush my spinnerbaits and you waste a lot of paint. I could do two or three for the amount I use but I like how they look and I can do different things with it. But if your doing a single color then powder paint in a flow bed is the way to go. Very little paint and when baked is hard as a rock.

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 02/20/16 10:41 UTC »
Not sure where you've been buying your powder paint but look outside the tackle end of things.  Powder paint is powder paint.

I buy my paint by the pound, 453 grams.  That will paint about 500-700 28 gram jigs.  Most of the colors I use cost me $9-$15 a pound.  There are a few that cost a bit more.  But basic colors like black and white are very inexpensive.

Start searching for powder coating suppliers or talk to some powder coating shops.  See where they buy their paint.

Buying it in small jars is very expensive.  Pro-Tech which is marketed to the fishing market here runs $6.50 for 56 grams.  I pay just over that for 453 grams of basic colors and no more than 3x that for most colors.  There are a couple of colors that I pay 4X that but I'm getting twice the amount of powder for my money even on those.

As a last resort I'll offer to send you powder paint.  Four pounds of paint can be shipped for $35 or 19 lbs for $76.  If you've got friends you could split an order with it wouldn't be that expensive to get 19 pounds shipped.