Author Topic: Crazy crappie bite  (Read 1952 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Crazy crappie bite
« on: 03/20/12 14:19 UTC »
I went out to the local lake again this morning to fish crappies and if anything, the bite has accellerated about 300%.  A fishing friend from Minneapolis met me at the landing and since rain was in the forcast I left the boat to home and we rode together over to my pet dock. The dock has been just plain outstanding this spring, but today it was simply so good it was ugly. For the most part the water around this dock is less than 10 feet but we could have gotten the trick done in 3 foot today. The bite started off on small plastics and then graduated to a somewhat larger one, then to yet a larger minnow shaped plastic. I have never seen a bite this agressive this early in the spring. We ended up with the 1.75 inch small fry on the line to end the fishing.

We fished about 30 inches deep under floats with all of the plastics being hung on 1/32 heads in a custom color I do called Almost Blue. Its a transparent purple based paint with a bright blue glitter in it. The paint goes straight on over the raw lead, no undercoat color, and the finished product looks sort of purple in some light, but then again almost blue in another, hence the name. When a specific depth seemed to wear out we dropped the depth only a half a foot and it would start up all over again.

The fish were running in the 11 to 13 inch range pretty much today and between the two of us we probably landed somewhere between 150 and 200 crappies. We each brought a handful home for tonight's tables. Man, when the fishing gets like this it is something to experience.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Crazy crappie bite
« Reply #1 on: 03/22/12 07:24 UTC »
We hit up the pond again Weds morning and things had changed a little. The lake has begun its annual spring fill-up to get it to summer pool and was up a full foot when we arrived and maybe 15" by the time we left. The rising water sure did shut the fish down, but we were able to snare a few over the course of the next four hours, maybe fifty fish. The water temp was down a couple degrees from Tuesday's romp in the same location.

Crappies were real tenetive on the hit, but the sunfish really had ramped up their aggressiveness and flat out clobbered the baits. The 1.75" small fry had a run again today, purple/chartreuse tail to be exact, and was perhaps the best crappie baiit what with the water having taken on some color above and beyond what we had for color the day before.

It did a little very light rain/drizzle thing for the entire time we were there yesterday. Never enough to need rain gear, but enough to get a sweatshirt damp. We only saw a couple peeks of sun. In fact one of the plastics we tried worked very well along a deep break in glow.

The lake will be "off" for a few days what with the water levels coming up quickly so I'll humor myself in the gardens getting them ready for the seed season.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast