Author Topic: Panfish Bonanza  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Panfish Bonanza
« on: 02/18/20 12:30 UTC »
Southern Iowa is one of the Midwest’s best kept secrets for trophy panfish. Warm spring like weather on Sunday made for one of the hottest bites I've had this ice season. Muddy water due to melting snow and runoff was an unanticipated challenge but black plastics were the key to getting bit. Bigger fish seemed to be relating to the shallow weed edges (in less than 5' of water) as well as south facing banks/points while numbers fish were schooled up roaming the basin both deep and right under the ice. The Garmin Panoptix looked like it was on simulator mode all afternoon. I had a great time pond hopping and fishing new waters.  You never know what you might catch.  A black Bubba Scud rigged up and down so the hook comes out where the legs are was dynamite.  It has a great unique action as opposed to it's already great action rigged flat.  The crappies were crushing it. A fun 100+ fish day in God’s Country!

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Panfish Bonanza
« Reply #1 on: 02/18/20 13:47 UTC »
Wowza.....that looks like it was fun.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 02/18/20 16:21 UTC »
Sweet deal there Kyle when you can get on a bunch like that. Makes for great memories.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/19/20 08:59 UTC »
A black Bubba Scud rigged up and down so the hook comes out where the legs are was dynamite.  It has a great unique action as opposed to it's already great action rigged flat.  The crappies were crushing it.

Changing the perceived profile works wonders at times, as you've proven here. The dirty water called for a dark bait to be seen and rigging it as you did gave it a whole lot more visible surface area. Crappies love tiny sunfish as a food source and rigged like you did made the bait almost a spittin image of a small sunnie. Think about it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/19/20 09:20 UTC »
I can't say ice and fishing in the same sentence but that looks like fun.  ;)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 02/19/20 10:06 UTC »
Dave if you ever got on a bite were you catching yellow bass and crappies on every drop you would be hooked for sure.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/19/20 10:33 UTC »
When you southern gents show up to ice fish for the first time we generally lock ya'll in a walk-in deep freezer for an hour to condition you. Then we pray the ice is talking while you're out there so you can keep us entertained. lol Best wear a long sleeve t-shirt instead the short-sleeved model in the avatar pic..
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/19/20 11:04 UTC »
If the ice is talking so would I.  :o

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/19/20 18:37 UTC »
Heck yeah that's really good to see that little bubba bug is doing its job.  I  can't wait for the flooded  lake  to go down  so I  can get  in better to fish these little baits.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 02/19/20 20:10 UTC »
Be out in 60’ and have a expansion crack come right threw the hole your fishing.

Offline johhnyshot

• Minnow
  • I am a Full-Stack Web developer with 10+ years.
« Reply #10 on: 03/27/20 04:55 UTC »
This fish day will be memorable for you.  Really great deal and I want to purchase such a bubba bug right now.