Author Topic: Big Bites  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
Big Bites
« on: 03/25/20 09:57 UTC »
Our local waters in the Hawkeye State are volatile this time of year.  A mean combination of melting and falling snow, fronts, rain and spring winds can make bite windows short and for periods of time non-existent.  The last few weeks have been textbook Iowa Spring, in those regards. Water temps got warm last week - mid to upper 40's and fish were aggressively hitting paddletail style plastics. The bite was fast and furious at times. Cold fronts brought rain and stained water in combination with big blows. Water temps dropped to the low 40's and fish got tight lipped.  Hair jigs and fluke style baits stole the show in the cooler temps.

Side imaging is a critical tool this time of year when I am trying to find fish.  Fish really make themselves visible when they are schooled up on sand or mud and side imagaing gives me confidence knowing I'm always putting baits in front of fish. On those warmer afternoon's I found the fish slid up into 3-5' of water and days that it stayed cool fish seemed to stay out in 8-12'

In light of the challenging conditions and current events happening in the world, getting some fresh air and setting the hook on a big bite make it taste that much sweeter.

Social Distancing - Saving Lives and Crushing 'Eyes!

« Last Edit: 03/25/20 09:59 UTC by Kyle »

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Big Bites
« Reply #1 on: 03/25/20 10:13 UTC »
There's a dandy. Nice work Kyle. What Do-It trinket did that one chew on to end up where its at in the picture? You usually have whatever hanging out of the mouth for use to see.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline brennan.chapman

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/25/20 10:23 UTC »
That's a corn-state beauty! Nice fish.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 03/25/20 12:40 UTC »
Great fish there Kyle.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/25/20 20:21 UTC »
Can't think of a better way to avoid the crowds! Nice One!

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/26/20 08:38 UTC »
There's a dandy. Nice work Kyle. What Do-It trinket did that one chew on to end up where its at in the picture? You usually have whatever hanging out of the mouth for use to see.

I never got a pic of her dental work but she fell for a mouse hair jig. Pic below - Same jig different fish.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/26/20 10:08 UTC »
Is that a glow fiber on the bottom of the jig? Another nice one by the way.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/26/20 10:31 UTC »
Lateral Flash.  Be careful googling that ;) Gives it an iridescent purple/blue flash like the back of a minnow. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/26/20 16:03 UTC »
WOW! And that's why we make them our selfs.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/30/20 12:44 UTC »
Another Iowa spring weekend is in the books. Scattered rain and thunderstorms Saturday led to a 30+ mph blow on Sunday. Several races to the boat ramp to outrun rain sleet hail and lightning were all remedied with good bite windows between cells.

40 walleyes hit the net on Saturday including several 21-23" females full of eggs and getting ready to do the dance. Water temps were in the mid 40's and a few of the males that were shallow were milting.  The Super Fry was dominantly the #1 bait to be throwing but a shadow rap jerk bait was a good clean up bait shallow. Some bonus smallies even took a few swipes on a long pause.

Social Distancing has kept me from making my usual runs to chase walleyes in Minnesota and Wisconsin but I've been making the most of our local waters and dialing in on some of the bites we are blessed to have that I usually don't take the time to fish this time of year. There is a never ending learning curve no matter where you fish or what you are fishing for that keeps us coming back for more.

Offline brandx112679

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/30/20 18:47 UTC »

Nice fish.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #11 on: 03/30/20 23:14 UTC »
Awesom fish and bait’s Kyle .
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN