Author Topic: Seal Coat ruined all my paint jobs...  (Read 12671 times)

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
Seal Coat ruined all my paint jobs...
« on: 12/16/14 19:24 UTC »
I'm not very happy right now.... I spent a ton of time painting some custom detailed baits. I brushed on the seal coat and put on my turner... All of my paint crackled even though it was heat set...  >:(  Ruined 12 baits I was counting on keeping for myself. It's too thick to airbrush... Not sure how many light coats it takes to finish a bait when thinned enough to airbrush...

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
Re: Seal Coat ruined all my paint jobs...
« Reply #1 on: 12/16/14 19:45 UTC »
Cs sealer ? 

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Last Edit: 12/16/14 20:05 UTC by 21xdc »

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/16/14 20:17 UTC »
Really that's not good!! I have had great success with it. I dip and let it hang. I guess the it's about 60-65 degrees in my shop. Did they crack when you thinned it? I hate to hear it screwed up. I know concrete sealer cracks when you heat it. Try dipping and just let hang

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/16/14 20:19 UTC »
What paint?

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/16/14 20:45 UTC »
My basement is 68-70* and on a turner. I had a thinner coat than dipping as I brushed a thin coat on them. It did the same thing my water base concrete sealer did... No heat... I wish I only did a couple baits, But I did 12 of them and now they are all no good.  >:(

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/16/14 21:19 UTC »
Man that weird! I hate that for you!! Your stuff is so pretty in a manly fish catching way :D I wonder what the heck happened? I use createx  paint

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/16/14 21:35 UTC »
I always heat set the paint and wait 2-3 days before I clear coat. I just dipped 4 baits and have zero cracks so far. I think you will really like the stuff if we can figure out why it cracked on you

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/16/14 22:51 UTC »
Could you post a picture? I've heard of paint wrinkling under a top coat, but not cracking.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/17/14 05:10 UTC »
Try dipping and just let hang

You cant "Dip" jointed baits unless you want them one piece...  :'(

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/17/14 07:08 UTC »

You cant "Dip" jointed baits unless you want them one piece...  :'(
. Awww the truck is to dip and let them drip. Once the drip is done take the airbrush turn it up a touch and blow air to clean the joints

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 12/17/14 12:13 UTC »
Sounds like you may have flashed the surface of your paint but it was still uncured (soft) underneath you have to be careful with waterbed paints when "heat setting" as you can apply to much heat to the surface giving the false impression that the paint is cured.

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 12/17/14 15:56 UTC »
I have had the paint wrinkle on me before what a great feeling. Just go sing it from the mountain. I had even predipped befor using mcu. Got away from the the mcu fast and I don't even look back. Good luck when it comes to a good topcoat.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 12/17/14 16:13 UTC »
Sounds like you may have flashed the surface of your paint but it was still uncured (soft) underneath you have to be careful with waterbed paints when "heat setting" as you can apply to much heat to the surface giving the false impression that the paint is cured.

Trust me, after the paint was heat set.... They sat for 7 days in 30% humidity at 70* before the clear was applied... The paint was as dry and it was going to get.  >:(

Offline el rat

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 12/17/14 16:51 UTC »
I have had this happen with the CS sealer you have pictured.  Only cracked on 1 bait; but that was 1 too many (sits on shelf collecting dust).   >:( 

I'm sure, as you have stated the paint was set.