Author Topic: Component Help Please: Blade Size For... (Various Niche Techniques)  (Read 1449 times)

Offline jgrizzle

• Minnow
  • 1/4oz & 3/8oz single blade Colorado for a lift/drop jigging technique
  • 3/8oz & 1/2oz single blade Colorado for dropping down bluff walls
  • 1/4oz & 3/8oz double willow for fast retrieves in light current
  • 3/8oz & 1/2oz single Colorado for night fishing slow and shallow

Thanks guys for the help with these nuances!

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Bigger the blade, the more lift it will give the bait hence the more weight needed to keep it down; the inverse of this is also true, the smaller blades push less water and will move much faster and provide less lift to the bait hence you can use a smaller weight bait with these smaller blades.  I have some 1 oz spinnerbaits that I throw on ledges with a solo size 7 willow leaf blade- an absolute killer during the summer months and I have some smaller 3/8 and 1/4 oz spinnerbaits that I pair up with small blades, generally size 4 and down.

I'm not sure if that exactly answers your question or not.  If not, feel free to send me a message or reply here and I will do my best to help you further.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Bigger the blade, the more lift it will give the bait hence the more weight needed to keep it down; the inverse of this is also true, the smaller blades push less water and will move much faster and provide less lift to the bait hence you can use a smaller weight bait with these smaller blades.

Solid advice... I go big and slow in cold water, but tend to switch over to small and fast in warm water. 

You just need to do a little experimenting to get the action you are looking for, jgrizzle.  It's almost like finding your preferred plastic recipe... just keep tinkering until you have it.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
I replied to your Facebook post about this question.  :D

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
On 3/4 ounce black/red for slow rolling & yoyoing i used size  6 black colorado blades. I also used some size 6  deep cup blades on some of them & you could feel them thump pretty good when yoyoing on bluff walls. Black/red colorado blade spinnerbaits are kind of a summer time sickness for me if there's any moonlight at all.  8)