Author Topic: Drop shot sinker  (Read 4305 times)

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
Drop shot sinker
« on: 12/14/17 08:23 UTC »
Hi guys
I got to ask you guru's which sinker you find the most snag resistant, bell or pencil.
The bottom in question concist of what we call blast rock.
You know the stuff they use to fill out with when constructing roads, millions of sharp v's where a sinker/jig head can get stuck.
I did try with ball head jigs there this summer but they got hung up all the time, same whith the egg sinker (rigged as drop shot).
Magne

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Drop shot sinker
« Reply #1 on: 12/14/17 09:57 UTC »
When I'm fishing rip rap and concrete chunks along the bank I fish pinch on split shot. No matter what you use they are going to get stuck!  I use the VMC swivel drop shot hook and use 4lb test on the weight dropper so it is easy to break. A couple overhand knots at the end of the leader help keep them on. Or, after you pinch them on, secure them with a overhand knot. (Looks ugly...but it works the best!)

Look for split shot in bulk bags to get the best price per shot.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/16/17 12:48 UTC »
Although I generally favor the bell (because of its stability), I will say that the pencil is definitely more snag resistant.  However, given the extreme rock bottom you mention, maybe you might want to try using the bottom bouncer... heck, you could even put a wire in the sprue of your drop shot weight to make a pseudo bottom bouncer (which might help you determine if you want to purchase the actual bottom bouncer).

Offline MADA

• Keeper
  • To many tools? No way!!
« Reply #3 on: 12/16/17 14:55 UTC »
Efish, i think i gonna try that.
Never used something like that before but that should work.
It is mostly the last 10-15 meters that is the worst.
Thanks.

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #4 on: 01/20/21 00:28 UTC »
In my opinion the tear drop is the best !!!!   Dont get me wrong the pencil and bell are awesome but I feel the tear drop are a mix between the other 2.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/20/21 04:07 UTC »
This is my favorite drop shot mold

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #6 on: 01/20/21 20:10 UTC »
That's actually awesome for drop shot.  Wish some smaller sizes though
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/20/21 21:58 UTC »
I agree, that looks like an excellent dropshot sinker, 21... in fact, if I wasn't already in love with the teardrop, I would get the troller to use for dropshotting just as you are.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/21/21 03:59 UTC »
I have never needed any lighter than 1/4 oz. I also have the bigger brother mold up to 2oz. I make a lot of these for friends and pros that fish the great lakes. Deep and current requires more lead!  ;D

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/21/21 06:33 UTC »

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/09/21 08:06 UTC »
Teardrop is my personal preference when it comes to choosing a dropshot sinker.  It is a good mix of the round ball and pencil weight and I don't seem to get snagged up too often.  Fishing in that kind of chunk rock though you will inevitably get hung up; that's just the nature of the game unfortunately.