Author Topic: Herring head issues  (Read 3344 times)

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
Herring head issues
« on: 05/05/20 13:34 UTC »
Was fishing Sunday and figured out a little pattern with the haring head underspin. They were absolutely whacking it in a smaller size. The only problem was that the spinner kept falling out of the underbelly. Any ideas on what would cause that? Is my lead too soft?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Herring head issues
« Reply #1 on: 05/05/20 16:36 UTC »
On the smaller heads I'm wondering if you'll have issues with harder lead, but I suppose its worth a try. Lots of detail in those heads and some may get lost to harder lead. I've had some problems with the wire popping out of the casting too. Not often, but more than once.

If you use harder lead and have some luck with it be sure to post for the others.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #2 on: 05/05/20 23:13 UTC »

Try bending the leg of the wire form a bit so it's embedded in the lead better. I've had to play around with making some of my own wire eyes for those smaller sizes. I haven't lost any blades but the wire eyes would get loose.

I use a hard lead, wheel weights, and as long as I keep the mold hot don't have any problem pouring, but don't think those wire eyes work as well as they should in some of the cavities.

I have the same issue with the freestyle molds, and that wire keeper, they get loose too easily. So, I started using the longer wires, and make sure the bend in the wire is at 90 degree's so it stays in the lead.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/06/20 10:17 UTC »
Thanks guys. I’ll try harder lead. I’m going to try twisting some eyes too on the Hagens. See if they’ll be any better.