Author Topic: He's got some stones... (or he's checking to see if I had any).  (Read 2044 times)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Never heard a gobble this morning, but my hunt was not uneventful!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
He's got some nerve, that's for sure...
« Last Edit: 05/01/21 15:30 UTC by efishnc »

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
That ol’ boy is going to be riding in the car when you go to town before summer is over. I love how this bird has decided to take you in.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
What a cool experience you’ve be having with your feathered friend.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
If he gets any closer you will have to take his SSN and claim him on your upcoming taxes! Cool how he’s latched onto you.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
He's getting to be darn near family, that's for sure... I hope he finds a lady friend (he has been drumming a lot) and is able to start a proper bird family, and they can in turn keep multiplying.  The only bad thing about his affinity towards me/us is that I think it permanently severed my wife's ability to eat grouse.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
Being a fly tyer, that bird would have been in serious danger had he decided to get that close to me. I wouldn't condone breaking any laws, but temptation has caused people to stray.  ::)

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Being a fly tyer, that bird would have been in serious danger had he decided to get that close to me. I wouldn't condone breaking any laws, but temptation has caused people to stray.  ::)

For the most part, I only tie deer hair flies and jigs (for bass/muskie/walleye) when I do, but my cousin loves pheasant feathers for his trout flies.  I tip my hat to good fly tiers because I am not.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Good one bigjim! :D

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
Brave little sucker!!  But I'm with BigJim!  He might have an accident getting in front of a turkey!! Love those feathers for fly tying!!

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
I chuckle every time I see that little dude.  Stones indeed!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
I chuckle every time I see that little dude.  Stones indeed!

The funniest picture I got is one I didn't post, where he was standing smack in front of the barrel with absolute defiance... (it was the next pic after he goes under the barrel)... he just hopped up on that little log and proceeded to call me names, checking to see the quality of mettle I had. 

It's amazing he can even walk with a set like that!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Hey bigjim and Fatman-

If either you have any grouse feather flies, I would love to see them.  (I don't think I have ever known anyone to use them in tying, so I am quite curious.)

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
Are there multiple grouse out there with stones the size of planets?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wild-bird-becomes-obsessed-hampshire-140912249.html

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
I remember years ago reading of this happening to people and I thought it was largely an embellishment. 

Unlike the article, my bird buddy started bonding with me in the fall and has been attached to me for about ten months.  Although I have considered the territorial aspect as an impetus for this relationship, I also think it could be some indirect recognition of safety like some little animals that use big animals as protection.